Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Tires-Non 4x4

I recently bought a 91 Ford based SMB. I'm nearly done making my little tweaks and now it's time to put tires on it.

The current tires were made in July 2003. Even though the tread looks excellent I would feel better with newer tires.

I've searched the forums and it looks like most of the discussion about tires has been around offroading. I would like some tires for just touring around. If I'm "offroad" it will probably be because I'm backing into a campsite Mostly, I want to drive on paved and gravel roads.

I spoke with Les Schwab and they suggested either Terramax HT tires or Toyo Open Country (which are a bit more then I want to spend but I would do it if it was really worth it.) About a $300 price difference between the two for a set of four.

Discount Tires suggested Geolanders. Don't have the price in front of me.

Anyone with suggestions pro or con on any tires? I'm really looking to get the best driving experience. As it is, there's a little wander in how it drives. My goal would be able to drive with one hand and hold my coffee in the other.

Size is 215/85/16
Jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote