Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #11

Re: 16" versus 17" Wheels? Pro's Con's

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac

So, what's the GCWR of your van again? I'm sorry, but that wheel has gross negligence written all over it.
20,000 pounds. But that's irrelevant. Even a single-rear wheel E350 van is rated at the same 20,000 pounds, and the same wheels are used on the E450 which is rated at 22,000 pounds.

The main problem is the Lug-centric outer wheels, which is the only option for aftermarket custom rims. Lug-centric wheels need frequent re-torquing of the lugnuts (at least every 5,000 miles). On this trip, I let that slide a little. While not loose, I know from prior experience that after a while, the lugnut seat will have worn enough that lugnut torque will drop below spec. This is not enough clamping force to allow the inner wheel face to support the full load on the wheel, and instead causes the studs to bear some of the load. Looking at where the crack initiated, it's likely a hard impact cause the studs to deflect enough to crack inner aluminum wheel at one of the studs. Yes, my fault I allowed it to go too long before re-torquing. But now that I'm aware that this can happen, I probably won't be running AL inner wheels anymore (or I may bore out the holes to allow a little clearance.... my studs are oversized so it is a snug fit).

BTW - Ford warns specifically agains using lug-centric alloy wheels, because they eventually loose holding power, and wheels have come off due to this. Unfortunately, if you want anything other than the unattractive factory rims, you don't really have a choice.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #12

I am not sure if Mojaves are hubcentric, but the Dana 60 front diff of my 02 Quigley doesn't have any machined hub face to center on. The rear axles do, I guess most load is there too.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

IHeartDieselVans-
The '08 vans have bigger brakes that don't fit into 16" rims... more's the pity'
Bill
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #14

It isn't always easy to find, but all wheels have a specific load rating. For any SMB use, that needs to be an important selection criteria. As noted above, wheel failure can really ruin your day.

The mojave wheels often spec'd on SMBs have a max load rating of 3200. I recently switched to 17 inch rims to allow for potential brake upgrades, and went with the ATX legend wheels. I liked the appearance and their max load rating is 3600. I know that there are no guarantees with anything, but assume these wheels can handle some of the heavy loads I carry in our SMB.
R
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #15

I would also imagine that while 3200#, or 3600# for that matter, is the safe rated load, a few hundred #s more is not going to destroy the wheel. there must be a pretty substantial safety factor. Hitting stuff and loose lug nuts are going to be what does the wheel in.
Bill
Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #16

16" versus 17" Wheels? Pro's Con's

Bill,

I have an '08 with 16" stock wheels. Not sure why the discrepancy. (This is for a cargo van.)

Brent
Old 07-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #17

Maybe mine was a later '08... Don't know. However, the clearance between my rims and my brakes is about nada so there would be no way to put 16s on my van... I thought ALL '08s had 17s. Learn somthun' every day.
Bill
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #18

2wd vans will still fit 16" wheels. Barely. That's what they come with from the factory, even though the rotor is the same size as the Dana60 used on the 4x4s, which as we know does require 17's. I think they used a slim enough caliper body to just barely fit.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #19

Do yourself a big favour and at least look into a Quadvan or Whitefeather
conversion. You will have to use 17" wheels with either of those conversions.
You will have a tighter turning radius and better brakes than with an Advanced
4x4 conversion. Ask members here that have a Quadvan or a Salem Kroger
conversion that both use factory Ford parts in their conversion. Salem Kroger
is no longer around but Whitefeather took their place. They have some key
people that used to be at Salem Kroger. I know there are members here that
have conversions from those 2 companies. The biggest advantage in my opinion
of those 2 companies is the availability of parts at any Ford dealer. And they
both do top notch work.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #20

I was just looking how little caliper to wheel clearance there is on the Mojave 16's (02 Quigley). Without the rear spacers, I am pretty sure the wheel weights would be knocked off the rear, and in fact they were knocked off of my front wheels --- I had to get the wheels rebalanced and they used lower profile weights and put one set of weights right inside the spokes, and for the inner weight they used a hammer on style. Previous balance had the weights in the middle of the wheel, which apparently lasted about four rotations of the wheel.

If you got a few rocks in there, ouch. So there's more of the argument for 17's, more caliper clearance.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote