Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #1

2006 RB50 SMB 4x4 Brake-Wheel Upgrade Advice

Hi folks / absent from forum for awhile. Hardly recognize the place!

My 6.0 PSD rig is running original 16" wheels / 28575R16 tires.
My main desire is to STOP better, but probably wouldn't mind bigger tires, say 35". My rig uses the older vacuum boost system (that unit just replaced)

Bought this rig in 2011 (2nd owner) at which time the factory rigs were coming out with, I believe, 17" wheels and the then-F-450 brake system. That, in those days, was the suggested upgrade path.

Although there are several threads throughout here of varying age that touch on this, I'm frankly confused.

Would anyone point me in a particular direction that might be of help?

SMB: 2006 RB-50 6.0 PSD SMB 4x4
1988 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet
2001 Harley Davidson Electra Glide (very not) Standard
2002 BMW R1150GS
mossbeachpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #2

Too bad you're already 4x4. You can do it all in one fell swoop with 2013+ F-series 4x4 axles which came standard with big brakes.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #3

Dynatrac brake upgrade

I contacted Dynatrac and bought the components to convert my 2006 E350 to the F450 brakes. Replaced the steering knuckles, calipers and disks. Needed to have new brake hoses made.

I have been happy with the result. I can't imagine driving with the brakes the way they were before the upgrade.
cmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

I'dlove to put on bigger brakes, but everything points to the fact that they won't fit inside my 16" aftermarket aluminum wheels, so after hearing a lot of good things about Powerstop slotted rotors, I ordered a set for the rear, as my old ones are trashed. I didn't order the fronts yet as there is still some question about identifying what axle I have in front. Anyway, the guy I ordered them from at Summit mentioned he put a set on his truck, and the improvement was very noticeable. So, no doubt the bigger F450 brakes would be best, but if they don't fit under your current wheels and you don't want to spend a lot of money for new wheels and tires too, you might try some better rotors. I'll report back once I get them installed and the pads properly broken in, but it might be difficult to tell much with just the rears installed.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #5

AT - please do report back. I need to do something with mine too. Not very stoppy out in Moab this week.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
AT - please do report back. I need to do something with mine too. Not very stoppy out in Moab this week.
Will do, but it may be a while as van life has been put on hold for a bit.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #7

You are right about the wheels . Fortunately I had 17s on the van.

I put the Powerstop rotors on my F150 and they helped. But the biggest improvement was with Hawk brake pads. Better than EBCs. I haven't tried Powerstop's pads.
cmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I got the Power stop rotors and Power stop pads (Z36 truck and tow extreme carbon fiber) installed but only on the back. It does seem that stopping power is up, but it's hard to really tell since I only did the rear, and the drivers side was only working on one pad before. I'll be changing the fronts at some point soon though, so I'll report back when that happens.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

I'm currently staging for the bigger brake swap with 14" rotors and calipers. I've got new Warn hubs, Spicer 1480 u-joints, stock E350 calipers, Dynatrac rotors and Prosteer ball joints, and Hawk pads. Just need to muster up the coin for new hubs and knuckles and 35 spline shafts. Oh yeah, 17" wheels and tires.

I can post all the part #'s if anyone is interested. Dynatrac can supply pretty much everything need for the swap but you can knock off $500 or more by sourcing some of the stuff separately.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #10

Thanks to CM, AT and Joe......

I' ve gotten a quote from Dynatrac for all the parts. Can't do this work myself so am shopping for the right installer.

Leaning towards 18" wheels instead of 17" with a set of Cooper 325-75-18's. Nominally still 35".

I've gotten conflicting advice from 2 different Ford dealers about whether the larger caliper brakes and the vacuum boost setup will work. I'm inclined to convert that to hydro boost as well, but my need to have the work done by someone else may make it a 2 step process.

Appreciate the feedback!

SMB: 2006 RB-50 6.0 PSD SMB 4x4
1988 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet
2001 Harley Davidson Electra Glide (very not) Standard
2002 BMW R1150GS
mossbeachpaul is offline   Reply With Quote