Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
Too late... Bought an 01 7.3 EB last week. I wanted a van that would keep its value better. I will probably mull over 4wd this winter, as I should be pretty sedentary in an epic place to ski anyway. I'll have access to a Subaru too. Ultimately the health and safety of myself and my passengers is worth far far more than $10-$12k.

I guess I may start the parts and tool search then!
Yeah, I'd do tires and wheels (and winters for winter) and maybe some simple suspension stuff, and sway bars. They help TONS on the street (when I got my van Ford was in epic litigation over E series rollovers, and the design did contribute at that time. The sways let me corner say 15% faster, and crosswinds were no longer steering me into the oncoming lane). See how it goes. I eventually converted mine after 30k miles since we were going to a lot of remote places in the desert with steep hills, and frankly the 4wd low was more important than the traction. I've had friends with 2wds of all sorts and with lowered pressure in bigger tires they got along in sand as well as I did.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
Too late... Bought an 01 7.3 EB last week. I wanted a van that would keep its value better. I will probably mull over 4wd this winter, as I should be pretty sedentary in an epic place to ski anyway. I'll have access to a Subaru too. Ultimately the health and safety of myself and my passengers is worth far far more than $10-$12k.
I guess I may start the parts and tool search then!
You bought the low mileage one in Reno, right? That was a very reaonably priced van. Finding low mileage great condition well appointed 7.3's is not that easy.

re: 4x4 choices - I agree, I have been in nasty snow situations where just not having to get out and deal with chains was worth the conversion cost to me.

My advice - IN CAPS - First: You will drop significantly more than $10 to 12k for a decent conversion. Second: DRIVE an example of each conversion BEFORE you plunk down ANY money for a conversion or kit. THERE are pluses and minuses to each and some major differences, M A J O R. Get on a plane if you have to go find a member who will help you out. The cost of flights is nothing compared to what you will be spending. If you can find 7.3 conversions, that is even better because the 7.3 (extra 250 lbs?) up front changes the ride dynamics in a big way. PM some of the people who have actually had different set ups, or substantial seat time, and get their private opinions.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #43

^^This.

The major benefit to the UJOR kit is that you can do the conversion in phases. You can hang the front axle and drive it around as 2wd, then when time or funds allow, you can move forward with the rest of the conversion. You can save a little bit of money since you are doing the labor yourself, but when everything is added up, the final price is similar to some other conversion company's prices (fully installed). Just make sure you get a full picture of the parts you need. Also, the 6" UJOR kit is their best handling kit (stated on their website), so if you want to go with the 4" kit, ask Chris about the differences.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #44

I have an EB bubble top for sale! Ha had to throw the sales pitch in!
On the point that you live in CO, just as Scotty said it is not a must but rather piece of mind! 4x4 in CO depending where you live is a luxury in the winter. I lived in Durango, I plow snow locally in the short brief winters we have in So. Cal. I enjoy driving by all the flatlanders pulled over putting on chains without a clue on how to. Then they drive for a mile and throw a chain and end up sideways in the bank. Unfortunately for them I can not stop for two reasons: one, I have a mile of angry Bro Boarders on my six. Two, I could spin a chain trying to pull them out then block the road if I did so, in either the motor grader or a 6 ton plow truck! Then I get to drive home and see that they are still in the bank because the tow trucks are too busy pulling out half the mountain below them! The pile up is because Boarders are trying to do a Fakie or a frontside double half pipe trick with their cars! So yes 4x4 for me.
About rough bummpy ride yes if you go solid leaf front conversion! Smooth is possible with minimal lift and a progressive spring load. I prefer coil, and no not coil overs because you could loose one in the back country. Coil spring because if you blow a shock your weight is still sprung. If your serious about Baja you can set up the van to use one style mount and length of shock like I did and carry a spare, like my equal length drive shafts. Baja parts stores where not as available 20 years ago now you can almost get them delivered thanks to Walmart, Amazon, and Uber! Yes Uber is up and running in Mexico!
The other thing with a little stiffer set up is your van will rock back and forth less with the right spring load, shock and anti sway. Although I am not a big fan of stock anti sway and how limiting it can be you can get a nice Currie sway system/bar custom to your vehicle! If you go to Baja, my 3 favorite stops besides Cabo San Jose and Todos Santos is Mulege, Bay of Conception and San Ignacio. OK ten favorite Guerrero Negro, Loreto, Insurgentes, Ensenada, and any where in between!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
You bought the low mileage one in Reno, right? That was a very reaonably priced van. Finding low mileage great condition well appointed 7.3's is not that easy.

re: 4x4 choices - I agree, I have been in nasty snow situations where just not having to get out and deal with chains was worth the conversion cost to me.

My advice - IN CAPS - First: You will drop significantly more than $10 to 12k for a decent conversion. Second: DRIVE an example of each conversion BEFORE you plunk down ANY money for a conversion or kit. THERE are pluses and minuses to each and some major differences, M A J O R. Get on a plane if you have to go find a member who will help you out. The cost of flights is nothing compared to what you will be spending. If you can find 7.3 conversions, that is even better because the 7.3 (extra 250 lbs?) up front changes the ride dynamics in a big way. PM some of the people who have actually had different set ups, or substantial seat time, and get their private opinions.
Yup, went with the Reno van. Pricey, but I think it will be worth it. This is good advice, and I want to find some vans to drive. Realistically, it will probably come down to what I can afford. The UJOINT appears to be the most affordable if I source the axle and t-case on my own and do some of the labor myself.
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #46

IMO, and I stress that this just my opinion:
The difference between 2wd and 4wd is the cost of getting you un-stuck.

Growing up in Iowa, 4wd was on every truck we owned. It was great in the mud and in the winter, but when you got stuck, you had to walk back and get the tractor with chains.

I considered doing the 4wd conversion on my van. The main reason I wanted it was for the Lo side on the transfer case. Makes crawling up trails much easier on everything. The reasons I didn't go that route were: Cost, number of times I would actually use it, and my van is only the 5.4.
Instead of 4wd, I opted to buy a good set of chains. (And know how to put them on! LOL) I can chain my van in less than 5 minutes in blowing snow and sub zero temps. Yes, its a PITA. But it's also $200 vs. thousands of $$$. I have easily climbed up serious snow and ice packed inclines with chains on the rear. When I lived up at Gross Resivoir I had to chain all 4 tires on my old 96 Bronco to get up that road! 4wd is no guarantee, but it is convenient.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
IMO, and I stress that this just my opinion:
The difference between 2wd and 4wd is the cost of getting you un-stuck.

Growing up in Iowa, 4wd was on every truck we owned. It was great in the mud and in the winter, but when you got stuck, you had to walk back and get the tractor with chains.

I considered doing the 4wd conversion on my van. The main reason I wanted it was for the Lo side on the transfer case. Makes crawling up trails much easier on everything. The reasons I didn't go that route were: Cost, number of times I would actually use it, and my van is only the 5.4.
Instead of 4wd, I opted to buy a good set of chains. (And know how to put them on! LOL) I can chain my van in less than 5 minutes in blowing snow and sub zero temps. Yes, its a PITA. But it's also $200 vs. thousands of $$$. I have easily climbed up serious snow and ice packed inclines with chains on the rear. When I lived up at Gross Resivoir I had to chain all 4 tires on my old 96 Bronco to get up that road! 4wd is no guarantee, but it is convenient.
Flagstaff is a pretty gnarly road when it snows for sure. I've just always driven cars and trucks in the snow with AWD, and so I wanted to be able to take my van on ski trips around Colorado, Wyoming, and Canada.
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #48

Geez, makes me feel old. I guess 2wd in snow is kinda like rotary phones, rabbit ears on the TV and lanes without Botts dots. Chain installers must be going the way of typewriter repair people. I wonder when we hit peak 4x4, when the default car has all wheel drive?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau View Post
Geez, makes me feel old. I guess 2wd in snow is kinda like rotary phones, rabbit ears on the TV and lanes without Botts dots. Chain installers must be going the way of typewriter repair people. I wonder when we hit peak 4x4, when the default car has all wheel drive?
People just like to not think about it. They want all season tires that give perfect traction in all conditions, AWD that handles like a sports car but is 100% safe in the snow. People used to have to plan and prepare, but now they just want to drive 80 mph no matter what.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
People just like to not think about it. They want all season tires that give perfect traction in all conditions, AWD that handles like a sports car but is 100% safe in the snow. People used to have to plan and prepare, but now they just want to drive 80 mph no matter what.
You mean "80 mph while texting."

I get the safety thing, although I'd be curious to see if there are any real numbers about that. I'd bet modern radial M+S tires (and I think all new cars have 'em) made more of diff safety wise than AWD would, especially since lots of those AWD/4WD vehicles are ungainly bricks. After years of driving my 4x4 van vs the earlier years without, I'd say safety-wise the suspension, not the drive itself, was the biggest improvement.