Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #11

Garage
Re: SMB vs. Quadvan

Previous thread

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...php?f=3&t=5596

Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #12

My friend had the quadvan 4x4 conversion on his SMB van and I have the SMB 4x4 conversion. We compared side to side briefly and I have significant more inches of clearance and lift over quadvan (measured with tape measure).

If I were to do it again today I would be happy with the quadvan conversion as much as the SMB. However the Atlas II transfer case and the slimmer profile Dynatrac prorock axles and hubs now definately give the nod to SMB for serious upgrade in equipment conversions.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #13

Garage
SMB vs. Quadvan

I have a Quadvan with ls upgrade in the rear and a big brake upgrade. I have no steering stabilizers and it drives awesome. I came from a quadrasteer suburban so I have been spoiled. I took the van on some serious snow covered steep buttes over thanksgiving and was impressed. I ended up going all the way up some buttes in central Oregon where I thought no way it was possible. John offered to install a quadrasteer option in my van which would be pretty neat. Anyway my 2 cents. When I lost my tranny over the summer in bend I ended up going to wright ford in Redmond who handles all the ranchers trucks and rural fire departments. They are great and said my conversion was the best work they had seen.

Brad
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
How is the Quadvan interior?

If you started from scratch to design the "ultimate" off-road capable van/RV, what would you do any better than SMB West does in their conversion?
Quadvan does only the 4x4 conversion, the inside is depending on the van layout or who will convert it.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #15

I have an '02 Quigley. My brother has an '03 Quadvan, converted in '08. The Quadvan's handling is far superior. Our local Ford dealer has worked on both without blinking an eye.

If you choose Quadvan, I would recommend the 4" lift over the 2" - limited travel on the 2" leads to bottoming out with big bumps at speed. Also, my comments apply only to the front end. My Deaver rear springs, installed in '09, are a huge improvement over the stock Ford leafs, and a must if you're off road much.

All IMHO, of course...
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #16

I just returned from a 2000 mile trip to Oregon to hunt. The Quad Van rides awesome on the road. I have driven the probably tougher SMB system several times and much prefer the Quad-Van on the road.
I have the option of locking my hubs from the inside.
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote