Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Utah and Mud Flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
Quote:
Pjpvi, do you have facial hair? Just asking for trouble if you do. Or, god help you, if your skin is brown. Whoa nellie!
Nope to all the questions, but am guilty of being from California. I'm just a nondescript guy cruising the country picking up on mannequin waitresses. That's normal, right?

Phil
You look like trouble to me. I take back all the horrible things i said about the fine folks at the UHP.
Z

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #12

It could have been worse...
8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #13

So if you are just passing through and your vehicle is registered in a different state you have to comply? This makes no sense to me. If you register the vehicle in Utah, I can understand that.

So if you are from a state that does not issue a front license plate, and you come to CA, the CHP can ticket you? I don't think so.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
So if you are just passing through and your vehicle is registered in a different state you have to comply? This makes no sense to me. If you register the vehicle in Utah, I can understand that.

So if you are from a state that does not issue a front license plate, and you come to CA, the CHP can ticket you? I don't think so.

steve
X2 ...... I agree!
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #15

I agree with you Steve.

Equipment regs are for vehicles registered in that jurisdiction. California doesn't issue citations to out of staters that don't meet CA smog requirements.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #16

Garage

A little googling turned up this post with an interesting point of view: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33922

Wikipedia has this to say about Article 4, Section 2 of the US Constitution:

Quote:
“The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.”

Clause One of Section 2 requires interstate protection of "privileges and immunities". The ambiguity of the clause has given rise to a number of different interpretations. Some contend that the clause requires Congress to treat all citizens equally. Others suggest that citizens of states carry the rights accorded by their home states while traveling in other states.

Neither of these theories has been endorsed by the Supreme Court, which has held that the clause means that a state may not discriminate against citizens of other states in favor of its own citizens. In Corfield v. Coryell, 6 F. Cas. 546 (C.C.E.D. Pa. 1823), the federal circuit court held that privileges and immunities in respect of which discrimination is barred include

protection by the Government; the enjoyment of life and liberty ... the right of a citizen of one State to pass through, or to reside in any other State, for purposes of trade, agriculture, professional pursuits, or otherwise; to claim the benefits of the writ of habeas corpus; to institute and maintain actions of any kind in the courts of the State; to take, hold and dispose of property, either real or personal; and an exemption from higher taxes or impositions than are paid by the other citizens of the State.

Most other benefits were held not to be protected privileges and immunities. In Corfield the circuit court sustained a New Jersey law giving state residents the exclusive right to gather clams and oysters.
For what it's worth.

Steve in L.A.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #17

Garage

I just found this little gizmo: http://www.autoanything.com/mud-flaps/69A5030A0A0.aspx

It's stupid looking (imho), but it is removable and might do the trick.

Steve in L.A.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #18

Just a guess, but my assumption is that UHP know that citing out-of-state vehicles for Utah specific equipment violations isn't legal. Or more specifically, that it can be successfully challenged in court. But the cost/benefit trade-off in taking that path will almost always favor simply paying the fine. Who of us can travel back to St. George to appear before the traffic court on a Tuesday at 1:30pm?

So they write the tickets and collect the revenue...........

If this becomes a big enough deterrent to tourism and local businesses start to complain, you can bet the hassles will stop. But that does not seem to be the case.
R
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #19

Also, SMB is the manufacturer if the van was ordered with the RV-prep package. Those are sent to SMB as incomplete vehicle.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Yeah, but look on your registration and I'll bet it says "Ford". There's nothing on my registration OR title that even mentions Sportsmobile. Also why when you have a problem with the truck you go see your inept Ford dealer instead of SMB.
Bill