Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #31

Re: Dodge Promaster

Not a bad looking Winnebago although I wish the front fascia could at least be smooth-painted body-color rather than rough gray. Ugh. Meanwhile, Dodge Ram Trucks site just recently added a configurator for equipment and prices on the Promaster. Click on the link and select 2014 and choose the four Promaster vehicles.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/lineup/inde ... ider=false

pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #32

A Winnebago sales person in Texas gave me a little information on the two floorplans for the Winnebago Trend and Itasca Viva. Will pass along information as best as I understood him for anyone who finds these Class B+ interesting.

One plan will have corner rear bed with corner rear bath similar to some View floorplan, but the front will be two bench seats. One facing forward, and one sidewards. Sounds similar to published Travato layout for this area. Above that a Studio Bed will drop down from ceiling.

The second plan will have a bath across the back of the unit, again similar to some View floorplan. At the front there will be a couch on one side and a dinette on the other. The Studio Loft bed will drop down from above the dinette and couch.

He said the Studio Loft beds are either 51X78 or 58X78 in size depending on model. He also confirmed the overall height is estimated at 10'-4" to top of AC. That's high for this type of unit but he thinks it's probably so Loft Bed doesn't prevent sleeping under on Flex Bed. And also so we can walk under the bed when up.

By the way, he said their first unit shipment is scheduled for mid-December. Also that for now there is no word of diesel initially.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #33

I found an interesting youtube video made earlier this year comparing a ~dozen UK motorhomes based on the fiat/Peugeot/Citroen van on the long wb (with long body...not extended body) that is basically what we will be seeing here in the states size wize (same nice wide transverse sleeping option!). This was an enjoyable ~30 minute video and gives one the sense that the fiat based dodge Promaster will make a nice platform for many a DIYer also.

Cheers,
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #34

They're all the same- after 15 minutes I couldn't take another back bed that didn't fold, midship pantry and toilet and double 2nd row highbacks... it's like the table on the Euro or US side was the only change...
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete
I found an interesting youtube video made earlier this year comparing a ~dozen UK motorhomes based on the fiat/Peugeot/Citroen van on the long wb (with long body...not extended body) that is basically what we will be seeing here in the states size wize (same nice wide transverse sleeping option!). This was an enjoyable ~30 minute video and gives one the sense that the fiat based dodge Promaster will make a nice platform for many a DIYer also.

Cheers,
Thom
Thanks for link. Some nicely thought-out and tested design ideas to pull from.

I'm curious to know why the shorter "6-meter" RV van seems so common in Europe (or maybe it's just England) in lieu of using the extended body version like Winnebago selected for the US market. I'd bet that in the US the longest van model at just under 21-feet total length will be the most popular for Class B conversions. The longer version offers more space for roughly the same cost and fuel economy. Seems like a great deal to me.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #36

Additional picture video of Winnebago Trend based on ProMaster is available on WEB. The Loft bed in center of unit is quite interesting for a small RV that doesn't have over-cab bed.

Also Winnebago is painting the dark grey grille to match body color. You decide if it makes unit more attractive when compared to standard ProMaster. I recall that was a main objection to the early ProMaster pictures.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #37

Here is link

http://www.lichtsinn.com/microsites/winnebagotrend_com/
Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #38
Site Team

Garage

Nice camper design but it's got one ugly front end on it. Still, if I was looking for a vehicle to visit parks and what not, that sure would be sweet and comfortable. It need rollers on the tail though. What a hangover. I'd freak driving out any dips in the road Maybe its got em. A pop out would be very cool.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Nice camper design but it's got one ugly front end on it. Still, if I was looking for a vehicle to visit parks and what not, that sure would be sweet and comfortable. It need rollers on the tail though. What a hangover. I'd freak driving out any dips in the road Maybe its got em. A pop out would be very cool.
In my opinion the "Trend" seems like a lot of RV for a 9,350 pound GVWR chassis. I'm guessing the extra weight of a slide-out is too much unless they can get a higher rated ProMaster chassis later on. Similar size offerings from Winnebago that have a slide are on Sprinter chassis with around 11,000 pounds GVWR.

It's hard for me to imagine how the Trend model that seats and sleeps up to six could accomodate so many people from a weight standpoint. Maybe for a family with lots of small children, or adults tailgating for the day only. But for four adults with two small kids it seems that packed even for a short weekend trip could push the weight limits. I'd really like to see the empty weight when typical options are included.

On the plus side it shows that a standard one-ton ProMaster van with 9350 gross vehicle weight rating offers a lot of capacity for a true Class B RV. On the negative side I'm thinking the Trend will not get that great fuel economy with gasoline engine because of the large box it's hauling. It's 90 inches wide, and fairly tall compared to low-profile similar units in Europe. I'd guess 12 or 13 MPG at best when driven at highway speeds. And while that's a lot better than typical class Cs, it won't stand out enough for those shopping the fuel-economy angle. It'll be interesting to see if that size RV sells well.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #40

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
...It's hard for me to imagine how the Trend model that seats and sleeps up to six could accomodate so many people from a weight standpoint. Maybe for a family with lots of small children, or adults tailgating for the day only. But for four adults with two small kids it seems that packed even for a short weekend trip could push the weight limits. I'd really like to see the empty weight when typical options are included...
If you read some of the other posts on this forum it appears that many SMB's are operated at or above the GVWR. Seems to be pretty common with RV's in general.