Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2023, 07:19 AM   #11

Echo JWA and RandallDee, but you know I have to add: consider Raptor Liner as the final coat instead of paint. I really liked working with it on my roof repair project.

I also wonder if the roof rack is creating condensation from the salt air, or has the neighborhood cat taken up residence on the roof? (cat spray is extremely corrosive)

Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:49 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
^^^RaptorLiner et al is fine as long as the POR-15 Silver is applied over the repair areas first. Again its all on the roof and about most sight lines so not a huge appearance issue, IMHO anyway!

Unless the roof rack is touching the roof metal or holds some sort of absorbent material against that metal this is just rust forming due mostly from very thin factory finish along with UV light further degrading it and allowing rust to form.

Can't speak to cat issues I'm sorry to say!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:04 PM   #13

Thanks everyone! This van has been a California van all its life. Started in Fresno for the first 6 or 7 years, then in San Luis Obispo for the remainder. It doesnt look like there was any prior rust/body work around the light being that its all metal, but I cant be for certain.

I had a local shop that would even tackle the job say it would be a minimum of $3k. As much as I would like to try to tackle it on my own, I'm not sure I have the skill set to do what JWA detailed, although if I start and it becomes a bigger project than expected, I guess I could call the shop and have them go at it.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Thanks everyone! This van has been a California van all its life. Started in Fresno for the first 6 or 7 years, then in San Luis Obispo for the remainder. It doesnt look like there was any prior rust/body work around the light being that its all metal, but I cant be for certain.

I had a local shop that would even tackle the job say it would be a minimum of $3k. As much as I would like to try to tackle it on my own, I'm not sure I have the skill set to do what JWA detailed, although if I start and it becomes a bigger project than expected, I guess I could call the shop and have them go at it.
Sell it as is to somebody in Michigan. They'll be happy to have it!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Sell it as is to somebody in Michigan. They'll be happy to have it!
Haha! They'll think it's mint!
Old 08-29-2023, 11:01 AM   #16

sand the area down with steel wool, clean with vinegar and water, and brush on this: https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/p...utralizer.html after it sits for a few days sand lightly and spray over with original paint which can be sourced https://touchupdirect.com/?gad=1&gcl...hoCLnwQAvD_BwE
Beaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:37 PM   #17

Garage
I just took mine to Scott at Arroyo Grade Auto body. He was affordable and did a great job. I had a similar issue with small rust spots and such.
rizzabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzabove View Post
I just took mine to Scott at Arroyo Grade Auto body. He was affordable and did a great job. I had a similar issue with small rust spots and such.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 08-31-2023, 11:54 AM   #19

Firm believer in prepping with a phosphoric acid based rust neutralizer. Por has a product, Ospho is another....These convert iron oxide to black colored ferric phosphate. If all of the rust is not removed it likely will pop up again, the converter allows conversion of remaining iron oxide.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:58 PM   #20

Took the van to the shop in Arroyo Grande that rizzabove mentioned. He quoted me less than the shop in my town, so I'll most likely go with them.

He did mention that he would cut out the rust, apply a neutralizer to affected areas under the roof skin, then patch it up, skim coat it, then paint it. I wont have the whole roof painted since I dont ever see it.