Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #21

Took the van to the body shop last week so they could get started on the rust repair.

After taking off the roof rack, I noticed some other lifted spots in the middle of the roof. I also noticed some paint checking which I think is the reason why this all started.

Anyways, I stopped by the shop today to see how bad it was and to my surprise, it wasn't bad at all. I thought there would be holes from the roof, but the metal was super solid once the surface was sanded down.
Attached Thumbnails
20231002_094528.jpg  

Old 10-02-2023, 01:44 PM   #22

Garage
Excellent news. Hope this repair lasts the life of the van.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:45 PM   #23

Glad to hear that, mikracer, I take mine in next week for the same. One additional issue for me is that Colorado Camper Van didn't put additional butyl tape down on the roof when I swapped out pop tops 4 years ago. The new top has rubbed the paint right off. The body shop wants to remove the SMB butyl, sand it all down, and then use Raptor liner instead of paint. I'm hoping they can make the Raptor smooth enough to re-apply butyl tape and make it stick.

Any alternatives to butyl, like helicopter tape?
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 06:12 AM   #24

I don't recommend tape at all. It traps moisture. Neither CCV nor SMB has ever used tape that I know of because they know this, however SMB has always sold it. I've never seen it on a new rig but I'm sure many have spec'd it on their builds and many have gotten some surprises later.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 06:36 AM   #25
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post

Anyways, I stopped by the shop today to see how bad it was and to my surprise, it wasn't bad at all. I thought there would be holes from the roof, but the metal was super solid once the surface was sanded down.
I didn't think there was too much if any unseen or horrific damage yet to be discovered---glad that's the case here MIKracer!

Will you go with the RaptorLiner or just automotive paint?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm View Post
One additional issue for me is that Colorado Camper Van didn't put additional butyl tape down on the roof when I swapped out pop tops 4 years ago. The new top has rubbed the paint right off. The body shop wants to remove the SMB butyl, sand it all down, and then use Raptor liner instead of paint.
Any alternatives to butyl, like helicopter tape?

Butyl tape is used for sealing the canvas sides to the roof by SMB and remains soft. For abrasion on the roof paint above the gutters they supply a hard silicone? type with UHB adhesive (Avery UHB tape). This, if put on good painted surface is great for the abrasion. Have had this on two vans for many years without issues used in areas where the top rubs (not continuous).
Attached Thumbnails
Sportsmobile--Roof-Tape-4.jpg  
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 11:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I didn't think there was too much if any unseen or horrific damage yet to be discovered---glad that's the case here MIKracer!

Will you go with the RaptorLiner or just automotive paint?
With as much bubbling, I thought it was going to be bad. But what do I know, I'm from California where rust is the boogeyman.

I'm just going to have the shop paint it. I considered going with the raptorliner, but I dont have space to do it myself and if it were to pop up again, I would want to see it vs having it be hidden under the liner.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:53 AM   #28

Glad for you it wasn't the bombshell destruction you were dreaming of - eeerrr - I mean nightmare haunting you !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
Butyl tape is used for sealing the canvas sides to the roof by SMB and remains soft. For abrasion on the roof paint above the gutters they supply a hard silicone? type with UHB adhesive (Avery UHB tape). This, if put on good painted surface is great for the abrasion. Have had this on two vans for many years without issues used in areas where the top rubs (not continuous).
I thought about explaining that but I figured that's what he meant.

I would be very careful using that stuff. I will not put it on a rig again. I've put it on two customer rigs and now regret it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 01:00 PM   #30
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
If avoiding any sort of rubbing or chafing is the goal consider using DIY strips of 3M paint protection film over a properly prepared painted roof or other painted metal surface. Naturally the thickest available would be best.

To wit: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000155853/
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote