Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2023, 03:14 PM   #1

Roof rust

I have some rust that popped up around my third brake light and along the drip rails along the rear of the van and am wondering what the proper fix would be.

Should I find a clean section on another van and cut it out to be welded onto my van? Or does it just need to be fabbed by the body shop?

Old 08-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #2

Post some pics?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 04:02 PM   #3

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
20230825_144006.jpg   20230825_144013.jpg   20230825_144015.jpg  
Old 08-25-2023, 07:54 PM   #4

Wow Jin, that's worse than I thought it would be given where you live. I'm going to reserve comment for those who know bodywork/rust repair better than me but I do not think you are in the realm of cutting out body sections.

I'm curious to hear what folks here say.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Wow Jin, that's worse than I thought it would be given where you live. I'm going to reserve comment for those who know bodywork/rust repair better than me but I do not think you are in the realm of cutting out body sections.

I'm curious to hear what folks here say.

Yeah, I was shocked when I saw it the first time.

I'd like to get it fixed,just wondering if I need to sacrifice another van to do it.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:05 AM   #6

Garage
Maybe JWA will be along.

I would think it could be repaired without a sacrificial donor, but won't be sure until you remove the rust. Might need steel welded in, maybe not. Again, need to see how bad it is under the bubbling rust.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:47 AM   #7

No expert here but this post seems to be like other "gutter rust" threads I've seen here before. Makes me believe (possibly) that water intrudes somewhere in the roof (thru roof rack/penthouse mount holes, etc.) and travels to rear of vans while driving, going up hills over years of off-roading, etc., and the "gravity" of it all does the deed ? Also don't think its a "new roof" or donor time - but I'd be checking 100% of the gutter - and chipping away to see it it's more rampant than what's shown in the post - front corners ?

Good luck with repairs !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
No expert here but this post seems to be like other "gutter rust" threads I've seen here before. Makes me believe (possibly) that water intrudes somewhere in the roof (thru roof rack/penthouse mount holes, etc.) and travels to rear of vans while driving, going up hills over years of off-roading, etc., and the "gravity" of it all does the deed ? Also don't think its a "new roof" or donor time - but I'd be checking 100% of the gutter - and chipping away to see it it's more rampant than what's shown in the post - front corners ?

Good luck with repairs !
He doesn't have a pop top. It just happens to older vans, especially from the rust belt. The gutter rail will be the first place you see rust, often right at the edge of the windshield. Another big telltale place is inside the doors at the bottom at the seams. Super easy to spot from a mile away on a light colored or white van. If you see a crisp pic of the driver's doors open on a perspective van and see rust stains then just keep shopping.

Jin, did this van come from up north or the eastern US?
Old 08-26-2023, 09:24 AM   #9

I'm certainly no expert but, I would think it could be repaired by removing the light, cleaning/sanding it all down and treating it with Por-15. Then filler and some touch up paint. It would certainly be worth a try before cutting it up.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:27 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
I'm certainly no expert but, I would think it could be repaired by removing the light, cleaning/sanding it all down and treating it with Por-15. Then filler and some touch up paint. It would certainly be worth a try before cutting it up.
That would be my first approach however I am curious if someone other than Mikracer (previous owner perhaps?) hasn't already attempted some sort of rust mitigation?

I'd remove the stop lamp housing and use a wire wheel on the rust to see how extensive it is currently. Once that's removed down to the bare metal POR-15 Silver would be the first step. From there a JB Weld Steel Expoxy in the larger syringe packages OR POR-15 Patch (#49013) or the POR-15 Epoxy Putty (#49033) would be good choices too. Sand or grind the excessive filler from the stop lamp recess, coat with the POR-15 and apply whatever touch-up color finish. Since that's all on the roof a perfect color match is not all that important.

If you go this ^^route post photos of your work in progress after you've removed the existing rust. I'll subscribe to this thread and receive notifications of new posts.

There have already been a few threads on which seam sealer is best for the gutter repair, it doesn't look too horribly at this point.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote