Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #11

Re: SMB (and other) Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
The SMB trailer is quite large, like the back of a short bed pickup. (Good)

The suspension sucks. (Bad) Agreed.
I removed 1 leaf and added shocks. Better, but not perfect.

Quote:
The hitch on mine is killer, a U-joint type. It works great. (Good)
The best part is the hitch is not compatible with any other. Makes it much harder to steal.

Quote:
The top is nice looking but the ram shocks that hold the top up have been a problem after I added a pod to the top. I need to replace them. SMB gave me the shocks but the part numbers? Probably need an extra set. (Trouble)
The way they were mounted was wrong! When the lid was closed, the cylinders pushed the lid shut. I remounted them so they are pushing the lid towards open and now my wife can open the lid with bikes on top. My next project is to remount them so the lid will open higher. Or, maybe longer cylinders.

Quote:
Those with larger tires than 285's might have a problem with rubbing. (It may be a problem especially if you change tire size) (Future expense?)
My 33" tires rubbed on the rubber flares. I had to narrow the axle to get the tires inside the flares.

Quote:
The tail gate? Maybe for some but I only use it to clean it out.
I open it to get somethings out, but mostly I lift over it. And, the tailgate should have been level with the floor when it is down.

Quote:
I wish I could:
Add a mini Aluminess rack to the corners for protection that has spots to haul a few jerry cans. Like a mini SMB rear bumper setup (front and back).

Add better suspension. AT addressed this.

Add brakes.
I wish. Can't find compatible brakes. The ones I find are for 5/6 bolt wheels.

Quote:
Have a dedicated awning system or attachment points. I have used my trailer to rig a tarp off the lid in the up position to make a shelter. A good system would be nice.

Because the SMB trailer is not made anymore I would think a custom AT trailer would be a great value.

I'm sure there is more.
Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Mike it would be great if you could post an image of how you remounted the rams. I know the albums are down but maybe you can add an attachment? That thing is hard to lift.
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Mike it would be great if you could post an image of how you remounted the rams. I know the albums are down but maybe you can add an attachment? That thing is hard to lift.
Dave B
The top was hard for me to lift. When I put 2 bicycles up there, it was very difficult and impossible for my wife.

I don't know how to add a photo as an attachment, so I will give you the dimensions to the mounts for the ram.

The upper (lid) mount on my trailer is 18" from the inside of the lid to the pivot point (middle of the bracket). I'm hoping they are all the same. If not, you may have to adjust the mounting of the lower pivot.

The lower mount was 3/4" down from top of the inside of the trailer, not to the fiberglass. And it was 34 1/2" from the pivot to the inside of the back of the trailer. The two mounting screws are +/- 3/4" from there.

I moved the lower mount to 3 3/4" down from the top and 31 3/8 in from the inside back. I used self drilling screws through the inner sheet metal to secure the mount. I don't remember if they were installed by SMB and I re-used them, or if they were something I had in the shop.

After removing the rams, I propped the top up with a 2x4 and crawled in to mark and drill the holes.

With the lower mount moved to that location, my wife can open the top with both bikes up there, yet it still stays closed when it is lowered.

Good luck. If it turns out like mine, you will be very happy with the results.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #14

Trailerman,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. Please don't misunderstand my comments. "over-engineered" was more a comment on my intended usage rather than your trailers. I've seen people out on the trail with your gear and if it wasn't bombproof they wouldn't even last a day. A testament to your stuff. I really just need a box with wheels so I'll look at the base model and see if that fits the bill.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #15

Harbor freight has some nice boxes with wheels. I abused the heck out of a small $250 trailer taking it across the country, OR to IN loaded to the sky behind a Chrysler New Yorker, then stored a bunch of Junk in it for the trip to AZ, then used it as storage, then traded it for a scoped .308 Remington 700 which I still haven't found the time to fire.

Ah, memories.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer2.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlaws
Jage (thanks for moving, it was a late night post),

The thing that I remember liking about the SMB trailer was that there wasn't a lot of muss and fuss and gadgetry about it. All I'm looking for is a good, weatherproof box that can support my tire size and put a rack on top. The AT trailers, et al, seem to be a little over-engineered (and heavy) for what I'm looking for. I wanted something that, when empty, I could unhitch and just walk it to where I wanted to put it and the simplicity of the SMB trailers seemd to fit that bill. I don't truly know bc I never got that great a look at them.

Anyway, looks like numerous options are out there, I just didn't want to go towing around the old pick-up bed, welded into a trailer option. I'm a redneck, but not that redneck!
You're in LA? I'm in San Pedro. PM me and we can meet. I'll show you the SMB trailer with the AT suspension mods.

Peter
psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Harbor freight has some nice boxes with wheels.
Jage,

That is a Harbor Freight trailer?? that looks better than what I have seen at HF.... so I may have to visit tomorrow.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #18

It's slightly modified- everything from the metal up is homemade and keep in mind it's the size of a matchbook.... if it looks good you may not be seeing the scale properly.

Amazingly I didn't take any pictures of the trailer, per se, but here is a good one with it in the shot:
Attached Thumbnails
trailerscale.jpg  
Old 02-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Jage,

Can I show my wife that photo? ...so she will know there are other driveways like ours??

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #20

You sure you want her to realise how much time you spend on the forum?