Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #11

I had the head gaskets go out on my Duramax last year and the GMC dealer quoted me $10,500. I ended up going to a shop called Performance Authority, a specialized diesel shop here in Bend and they charged be $4000.00 I know working on vans is a bit more time consuming so the savings likely will be less but a good independent shop is where I would go.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
Just out of curiosity...how many kids do you have? Anymore pics of the inside? I don't know what a transformer SMB is...

Thanks

SMB's old Transformer flyer. Too large to attach here.
http://web.archive.org/web/200605091...rmer_flyer.pdf

Herb
Old 08-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #13

I recently had my dummy plugs and one injector replaced. They offered to do the head gasket with studs along with said work for around $6k.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #14

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
I've got a couple of great sources for 6.0L Diesel work if you need them.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #15

Wow. Thanks for the info guys! I would appreciate some recommendations on a few reputable shops near Reno, NV if possible. Id be willing to drive it a few hours to get out there. Maybe Sacramento area, or up north a bit.

I currently have 3 kids and 2 big dogs. The transformer package is nice because it has two open windows on both sides and the seat configuration can be changed. You can move the 4 seater to the back, remove the bed and storage and add the three seater (which i have) to allow for the van to carry 9 people. Here are some more pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4154.jpg   IMG_4155.jpg   IMG_4157.jpg   IMG_4160.jpg  
Chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #16

Bulletproofing can mean a lot of different things on the 6.0. BPD apparently think they have patent rights on the term but they do have the best EGR cooler. What does it mean to Bullet Proof an engine?

Also something to look for and/or indicate to your prospective buyers is whether or not you have a coolant filter and if you switched to an ELC coolant. If it's got an EGR delete you would want to mention that too, especially if the buyer is located in a state or city with emissions testing.

Either way, if the heads are leaking then you most likely need head gaskets. The engine has to come out. Count on 30 to 40 hours of labor on a van and with parts (new headgaskets, arp studs, oil cooler, updated turbo feed and drain tubes, STC fitting, turbo rebuild, oil, coolant, new belt, blah blah and all the other things you'd probably want to do while the engine is out (new engine harness perhaps) then yeah, 10k is not out of the question.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote