Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #11

Re: Camping with Poptop Up in Thunder Storm

I agree with Witoke. Being up on insulating rubber tires makes you unlikely to be struck in the first place and if you are, the Faraday effect should protect you. It would probably toast your wiring, ECU and anything else connected to the electric system but as long as you're not sleeping under an electric blanket you're probably safe.

Anyone have any practical experience to counter all this informed speculation?

Old 09-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #12

My biggest concern with a thunderstorm is the wind gusting over 50mph. After it rocks the van a few times, I will wait for a lull and drop the top and sleep down for the night. With the top down the wind doesn't move the van nearly as much, and it is much quieter so I can sleep.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
I agree with Witoke. Being up on insulating rubber tires makes you unlikely to be struck in the first place and if you are, the Faraday effect should protect you. It would probably toast your wiring, ECU and anything else connected to the electric system but as long as you're not sleeping under an electric blanket you're probably safe.

Anyone have any practical experience to counter all this informed speculation?
If you don't mind the possibility of your faraday cage being blown to bits. With many strikes, the amount of potential destroys things. Each strike seems to have its own signature.

I've seen the tops of pole blown apart and other times have a difficult time seeing where it hit. A hard strike can be quite powerful.
If a high voltage power line falls on a vehicle it is true that in most cases you're best off staying in the vehicle but tires aren't pure insulators any more and potential will pass through them to ground. Unlike a power line, at least lightning is short term in duration so if it does blow your tires out the chance of them catching fire is low. I agree you probably won't be electrocuted by lightning unless it finds a way to pass through you which is possible. Step potential is a problem with high voltage and lightning. Potential does not take the best path to ground, it takes multiple paths to ground.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #14

Keep those thoughts rolling. I'm still pondering what I might do when it sounds like a storm is coming my way, but I'm not likely to stay up in the penthouse while the van rumbles from the noise. The idea of a flash flood is also worrisome as the lightening gives way to a lot of rain.

Apparently fiberglass is not a good conductor, so it is possible a strike would just as easily blow a hole in the thing. Portland motorcycle rider just got his plastic helmut blasted by lightening and his hair singed.

Then there are those metal lift tubes that seem too close for comfort. Climbing downstairs to wait it out might not be such a bad idea. Might leave the top up if it's warm and humid, don't know.

Good thing it passes quickly with the wind. Won't be comfortable with big trees near by either.

I understand one of the most common injuries caused by lightening is hearing loss.

I do like to watch a spectacular lightening storm, especially at a far distance when it lights up a big mountain range. Life is good.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
The idea of a flash flood is also worrisome as the lightening gives way to a lot of rain.
Now that, you shouldn't be parked there in the first place. You might not even hear the storm that causes the flood, much less have any time to get down from the PH and move the van.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #16

I'm with Larrie, nothing like a good night time storm in my opinion. The only thing better than being camping is being in an old cabin/house with a tin roof. Nothing better for sleeping than rain on a tin roof.
On lightning, when your time is up it's up IMO! I just hope I should be lucky enough to be camping, sleeping off a few brews and an evening by the fire. I don't worry too much about the van roof/canvas, etc. because a good storm always tells me if there's a leak I need to fix.

Way cool video Dave!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #17

Jage, just saw your question about the pop top being fiberglass. I've not been struck in my van so can't speak from direct experience but I have seen a few fiberglass sail boats that have been hit. I would think it would still behave the same way. Almost any strike will have the power to just arc across gaps, including from the bottom of the car body to ground, rubber insulating tyres or not, but it is much more likely to follow a surface on it's way down.

Mind you, as a sailor I have done a fair bit of reading about lightning and the best way to deal with it. As far as I can tell, there is no 'best way', at least that anyone has been able to discern. Should you ground the boat? Doesn't seem to decrease the strike frequency or the damage, whether the boats made of a conductive material or not. Should you have a lightning rod? Again, doesn't seem to make any difference. What about the 'dissipators"? (They look like a cat tail that has been stuck in an outlet and are supposed to dissipate the ground charge being built up before a strike). As far as anyone can tell they don't change any of the important parameters either. But one thing that is known is that storing your electronics in a metal box, like an oven is the best way to protect them. Kinda like being inside a van...

So to paraphrase John Augustus Shedd, (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Augustus_Shedd)

Van's in garages are safe, but that's not what vans are made for...
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #18

There isn't a good insulator for lightning - I mean the stuff travels through the air for 1000's of feet. Do you think a few inches of rubber/fiberglass will make a difference?

Your best hope to be shorter than the surrounding trees and or buildings. Usually lightning hits taller structures. Usually.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I'm with Larrie, nothing like a good night time storm in my opinion. The only thing better than being camping is being in an old cabin/house with a tin roof. Nothing better for sleeping than rain on a tin roof.
On lightning, when your time is up it's up IMO! I just hope I should be lucky enough to be camping, sleeping off a few brews and an evening by the fire. I don't worry too much about the van roof/canvas, etc. because a good storm always tells me if there's a leak I need to fix.

Way cool video Dave!

I'm the same way. I love being around a thunderstorm. Myself, in tornado prone areas, I might have a different opinion because they go hand in hand. So does the wind, hail, and possible flooding. You have to take in all the possibilities for sure. Featureless flat ground or rolling hills are also not a good place to be if you're in the middle of it. I do think about what would be damaged as well as possibly being stranded in the backcountry. I don't chase thunderstorms but if the forecast is for them in the Sierra's, I do try to head to the hills.

I would say that you're better off in the van than next to it or anything else that happens to be lucky to get hit such as a tree. If you get caught in a thunderstorm, it's best to avoid step potential; avoid cross currents and paths to ground. While on ground, crouch with your feet as close together as possible to avoid step potential. BTW they have some data that points to the streamers that cause the strike in the first place don't need to emanate from the tallest structure around. So like Eric points out, if it's your time Fortunately height does play a factor in it.
In one call I responded to, the lightning hit the pole, ran down to the service, followed it across the road where it went underground and to the house. It energized the homes stucco wire and any thing outside the house attached to it had a burn marks around it. It blew up the natural gas pipes, blew out some of the windows, blew the phone off the wall, but the strangest outcome was that inside the house it blew the nails out of the sheet rock. Looked like somebody let loose with a machine gun inside the house. Needless to say all of their electronics were toast. The original strike was over 200' away.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #20

That's creepy stuff..................
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote