Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #11

Collecting

Music, tools, and apparently plastic kid crap (toys), but I unload them regularly. It's funny, I NEVER buy my kids toys but the house seems to fill up just by what family gives them. It's just after Christmas, so perhaps I'm a little bitter about all this crap I'm tripping over right now!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #12

Re: Collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
For me your stuff owns you when you spend most of your time at work earning money to pay for your stuff. House payment, car payment, credit card payment, boat payment and motorcycle payments all add up to to much time dedicated to making money and not enough time enjoying life.

Life is to short not to enjoy it. That's a lesson I learned after losing 60% of my immediate family over a 3 year period 15 years ago.

Just my 2.5 cents worth.
Fortunately I never got to that point. I'm retired and living comfortably on Social Security with money in the bank. I spent many years traveling by motorcycle (cheap) and tent camping every chance I got - 3 weeks vacation and 15-20 weekends a year. When my job went away, the severance bought my SMB.

But, you've got to do what you've got to do. Some folks have family obligations and have work to support the family and kids; for them that may be the enjoyable part of life and the SMB is a way to spend quality time together.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #13

@Ford-6L-E350... all that said, I want to see some pix of your 100 car collection, please. I went through a young-life period when I lived on a diet of peanut butter sandwiches and glorious, *a little louder now* GLORIOUS Hotwheels and Matchbox cars... thinkin' mighta gotta little dain bramage. So much so, that I have, for decades now, purposely looked away from the above mentioned racks at stores to avoid the habit.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
It's just after Christmas, so perhaps I'm a little bitter about all this crap I'm tripping over right now!
Preach on!

Right now I'm in get rid of mode. I set a goal to have our first garage sale before April 1st. Shop, attic, shop, and garage. Nothing is sacred! I have sold some things in the past and we have always donated. I sold a Shopsmith a couple of weeks ago.

Contrary to that statement I just drug home another vehicle. That makes 6! I am planning selling one of those in the next several weeks. I also have a boat for sale. I have 5 of those, I think. 4 wooden boats (3 finished, 1 kayak currenty under construction (I also have 1 fiberglass Skiff)) I've made 5 wooden boats, I've only ever sold one of those. Second one is for sale now.

Collections:
6 Vehicles
5 Boats
3 Kids
3 Dogs
2 Horses
1 Horse Trailer

Who knows what else can be counted. Hopefully by this summer our family will be much lighter.

Pics? Please leave the pics out of this thread. It may take me awhile!

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #15

That is the best thing about my Quigley is I don't feel the need to hoard parts like I did for my old VW bus.

Kyle

Having said that I still find VW parts I forgot I had every time I clean out the garage.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
Site Team

I collect dust. It seems every time I take my SMB out on a dirt road somewhere, it gets dirty. Why is that? Is it just me?