Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Parking in Portland

Hey All,

Not sure if this is the best place but seems like the most logical of the options. I have a work trip to Portland Or at the end of the month (Sept 30 - Oct 2) that my family intends to tag along on so we are driving out there. I am looking for a place to park our Transit high roof/long body oversized van (9.5 ft high x 22 ft long).

There is an open lot right around the corner from the hotel we are staying in but the google reviews on the lot attendants and area don't give me warm fuzzies about leaving our new van completely unattended. Short of any other option I will have no choice but to park there but wanted to ping the community here as I know a fair number of members live out that way and might know a secret gem for parking out there that I could take advantage of (we will likely be arriving sometime Sunday the 29th and leaving Thursday the 3rd)

Any thoughts are welcome

renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #2

It might help to know what part of town you are looking to park near.
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post
It might help to know what part of town you are looking to park near.
Sorry of course. The hotel is the Mark Spencer on the corner of 11th and SW Harvey Milk St

I am not necessarily restricting myself to just parking there though. I dont mind a short ride in an uber from good parking to the hotel if people have recommendations not in the immediate vicinity.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #4

There's not really any good tall-van parking downtown. It's street parking (if you're lucky) or no-parking. If you're willing to walk, you can find easier street parking by Lloyd Center (still subject to time limits) or by Providence Park (unless it's a game day). There's also reasonable street parking in NW Portland, near the hospital and industrial areas. Not quite walkable, however the streetcar goes there.

You might be better served by parking at any of the area Park And Ride lots, and taking the train down-down. I rarely drive downtown because of parking hassles and cost.

TriMet Interactive Map
Old 09-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

You could always park at the airport economy lot, then take the Max train back downtown. $13/day, and no height restrictions.

To get back downtown, take the Max train from the airport. Either a short walk to Cascade Station from the economy lot, or take the parking shuttle to the terminal and get on the Max from there.
NattyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyT View Post
You could always park at the airport economy lot, then take the Max train back downtown. $13/day, and no height restrictions.

To get back downtown, take the Max train from the airport. Either a short walk to Cascade Station from the economy lot, or take the parking shuttle to the terminal and get on the Max from there.
this is actually something I was thinking about and is my top idea right now ... 20 min lyft/uber or 2.50 max ride and I am at the hotel. Probably the most likely option.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #7

Garage
Recommend this place for parking

I live on the Eastside of Portland and almost never drive downtown. Especially not with the big rig. Parking is hard/expensive, and I would never leave my van unattended anywhere downtown.

No affiliation, but let me recommend this place for parking. They're staffed 24/7 and only $13/day.

I live about 10 minutes from there. I'd offer a place to park, but I've got too many toys in the driveway and I'm going to Colorado!

https://www.airportparknfly.com/portland-location/

Have fun!
Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeoverland View Post
Hey All,

Any thoughts are welcome
I wouldn't park a camper van I cared about anywhere in Portland, Seattle, the SF Bay area, LA or San Diego for that matter. Virtually every one stolen has been from one of these spots.

A few miles away there is the whole of the Hood Nat'l Forest or along the McKenzie River somewhere, that's where I'd choose. The fact that you mentioned both work and family in one sentence makes me want to jump in a van and head to one of these places alone post haste!

Yep, that was fun. Sorry I don't have any real advice.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #9

You can park it in our field with the rest of the fleet. We are about 30 minutes from downtown Portland. Uber and Lyft both come out here. The Light rail line is about 15 minutes away. Send me a PM if interested.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:54 AM   #10

When we had our SMB in Portland during a XC road trip I had the oil changed at the Firestone shop downtown. Parked the van there for free all day while we toured around and got our oil changed as a bonus!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote