Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Yosemite and Pyramid Lake

We just got back from our trip to Yosemite and Pyramid Lake, NV. It was a fantastic trip with great weather (except for a snow & ice storm at Glacier point).

We camped at Millerton Lake outside of Fresno our first night (Saturday, 10/17). It was a typical state park campground, but the lake was really nice and we got a good morning paddle out of it. The other campers were actually extremely courteous. The plug in sites were basically a parking lot with the exception of a couple. The other sites were fine though.

We entered Yosemite on Sunday morning and saw a white SMB towing a white trailer on the drive up 41. Stayed in the Wawona campground that night and spent the day at Mariposa grove.

The next two nights were spent at the Upper Pines campground. The Yosemite valley campgrounds were full, but there was no traffic and barely anyone on the trails. There was actually an older SMB camped two sights away one night. Unfortunately Tioga Pass was closed when we left Yosemite so we to take the long drive through Sacramento on our way to Pyramid Lake.

Our next three nights were spent at Pyramid Lake, NV. We were inspired to go here after reading several trip reports on these forums. Thanks, we loved it! We did a ton of paddling and I got to do a little kayak fishing as well. Only caught a small trout and a good size Cui-Ui (lake sucker only found in Pyramid Lake). We camped at 9 mile beach and could barely see other campfires at night, it was ideal.

We only had to use our heater in Yosemite during the evening and when we woke up in the morning (temps were high 30's). The weather at Pyramid lake couldn't have been better. It was mid 70's during the day and mid 40's at night. Once the sun rose over the mountains, it warmed up quickly.

We saw a couple other Sportsmobiles on the trip, but didn't meet any of the owners. Here are some pictures.

You can view all of our photos at http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...5%3A1890249926

Glacier Point

Yosemite Valley

Yosemite Falls

Hike to Nevada Falls and Little Yosemite Valley

Mariposa Grove

An unwelcomed guest at our campsite at Wawona. My wife was really unhappy

Campsite at Pyramid Lake

Paddling to the Needles

Pyramid Lake arrival

Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Yosemite and Pyramid Lake

Beautiful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #3

Nice! What the hell kind of spider is that?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #4

Fantastic pictures! What sort of camera are you using?

I haven't been to Yosemite since 1969, and need to take my wife there at some point.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #5

Thanks all. I have no clue what kind of spider that is...unless a spider that freaked me out counts as a name. It was definitely scary looking and I'm not really afraid of bugs.

Our camera is just a 6 year old Casio Exilum (4 mb, 3x optical zoom). However, for a small, simple and pocketable point & shoot it does a great job. We will use it until the day it dies. That being said, I'm probably going to get a Canon Powershot S90 in the near future so we have two cameras and one that we can bring scuba diving.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #6

I'm really impressed the falls were running so much this late in the season. Must be that rainstorm that passed through the SF Bay area a couple of days earlier than your visit. And that snow closed Tioga Pass for the season.

Great pictures, especially the one from Glacier Point. Last spring we camped in the valley and hiked up to Glacier Point and the falls weren't that impressive.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #7

A quick question. What kind of step blocks are those?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #8

They are the Fiamma leveling ramps. I would definitely recommend them.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

Top notch man. These pictures are what inspires others to go take their rigs out. Been a bit landlocked lately and definitely feeling the need to go explore more. Thanks for the inspiration.

J
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote