Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #21

I am loving the new tires, rubbed just a hair on the plastic wheel well liner so I had to cut a small piece from each, no metal was cut.

I got some rectangular tube steel from the junkyard to make some spacers to go behind the new bumper so there will be room for the winch.

And...I started painting it camo! The wife hates it, oh well
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1010.jpg  

skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #22

Hard to see the van in the photo... must be the camo

Digging the details on the build so far. Keep em coming
Old 05-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #23

I didn't take more pics but I got the other side done today!!! Next is the hood and back door, then the roof will get sprayed tan to stay cooler. I will probably spray the interior ceiling tan to brighten up the inside.

This weekend I want to get the new bumper and winch mounted and probably the wiring. I found a good spot to mount a spare battery box in the floor, back drivers side corner, should fit my deep cycle.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
The wife hates it, oh well
I like it.. but I think my vote counts a bit less than your wife's vote.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #25

Also, I had been planning on putting some expanded steel over the inside of the windows but now I think I am just going to replace the glass with 14-18ga sheet metal.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #26

Wifey said no to the window delete, I agreed. I did however cover the one rear drivers side window with expanded steel on the inside to prevent glass from coming in on the children in the event of an accident and to limit the sun a bit to keep it cooler.

I also put the plastic door covers on from my work van, it helps it look nicer and the light grey panels make it a bit brighter inside. I need to paint the interior. In the work van I use the door pockets for storage so I had taken them off first thing but saved them.

So far the kids are enjoying our trips to playgrounds since the weather has gotten nice.

Unfortunately I can't post the pics from my phone
Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #27

I winch installed(minus electrical)

First I had to make spacers from some 3"x6"x1/4" tube stock so the winch would clear those radiator lines.

I temporarily mounted the I-Beam so I could measure for the winch hole.

Then I drilled corner holes and started the cut out with the grinder.

Used the sawzall to finish the cut out.

Drilled holes and mounted the winch.

After cutting the ends shorter so they don't stick out into pedestrian traffic and catch bicyclists I painted it and it didn't look too shabby. The original plastic splash guard still fits real nice underneath and covers the winch perfectly. I can reach behind the motor and easily turn the clutch handle too. Eventually I will make some end pieces so it sweeps back, those will probably get welded on when I can borrow a welder. The front corners will get rounded soon for safety. The holes for the d-rings were existing, I will need to make others and will reinforce them. I think I might make some doors and turn the inner part of the I-Beam into a tool box for pulleys/d-rings/straps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1093.jpg   IMAG1094.jpg   IMAG1095.jpg   IMAG1097.jpg   IMAG1098.jpg  

Old 05-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #28

After the bumper was done It was time for gas. I reused the stock license plate holder, it is under that floor mat in the recess of the I-Beam safe from damage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1100.jpg   IMAG1101.jpg  
Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #29

I hadn't posted a pic, but about 10 days ago I did put some expanded steel over the back drivers side window. As a kid I was always worried glass would coming flying in if we ever got hit, I don't want this to happen to my kids.

I realized why the van gets so warm inside, it's the exhaust. There is a heat shield and the exhaust is pretty low but when you aren't moving the heat just goes up into the floor. I might get some fiberglass wrap but the ultimate solution would be rerouting the exhaust. I will have to wait until my wife gets a car so she wont have to drive the van anymore but I want to do a stack just behind the drivers door. This will retain the cats, the stack will have a muffler, and it should improve flow. This will also free up some space underneath for some floor flush storage boxes.

I also got an aluminum louver to mount on the back door. I think I will mount it behind the rear license plate and just bump the plate out for air flow. This will keep it hidden and if it's an issue I just buy a new license plate holder and not have to worry about a hole in the door.

I have two foglights I need to mount when I do the electrical for the winch. I realized that when I add the two sidepieces to the front bumper it will make some nice pockets for tool boxes or maybe extra batteries. I think its a poor place for batteries though with vibration/possible impact damage.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #30

Fog lights! Ain't wired yet but I ran the ground for the winch.

The winch control box is setup to be mounted directly on top of the winch and that's not possible. I am either going to open the box and add longer wires or just get two solenoids and wire up my own controls.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1128-1.jpg