Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Can I use space in front of stove for small drawer

Our cooktop instructions state a 30mm clearance below the unit to combustible material. Wouldn't want to catch the silverware on fire...

Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Our cooktop instructions state a 30mm clearance below the unit to combustible material. Wouldn't want to catch the silverware on fire...
I do wonder about storing things under the stove. If I can have the front end for cooking implements, I'll be happy.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Converting, that's just a shade over an inch. Do you have the same type of propane stove-top? (I think mine is a Wedgewood brand, but many are similar.) I haven't used mine to cook yet, but when I do I will make sure to check the drawer contents for temps.

I have a camper with a similar setup (drawer under stove), but I can't remember exactly how much space there is between the two. Not a lot, but perhaps over an inch. That said, I kept things like Zip-Loc bags in that drawer, and never noticed them even getting warm. Doesn't mean much without a measurement though.

I'll probably start using the SMB stove regularly this late-fall/winter -- so I'll be able to check it out (let's see if those bottle-brush whiskers melt...). Clearly the drawer as installed by SMB encourages storing things pretty darned close to the bottom of the stove unit, and I wonder how much any heat actually goes down, or how hot the metal bottom gets. I'll find out (safely).

Thanks for bringing this to our attention,
Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #14

Garage

Our stove is the European Dometic / SMEV type. Could have different specs.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #15

Thanks for the stove brand info that goes with that ~1" spec.

You know, now that I think about it I believe I probably have the original manual for the stove in my SMB. I bought it from the original owners and they saved everything (right down to their order sheet prior to buying).

I imagine quite a few SMB's have the same stove, so I'll post back with what I find.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote