Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #11

Otter, can you unzip all of your window screens? I can only unzip 1 of mine at the head of the bunk for egress. Seems like that would solve the problem. I have issues with my 4 side screens.

Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #12

Garage
Yes, all of the screens unzip in mine. It’s my understanding that they changed that at some point for the newer ones as well as stopped the upward movement of the lift mechanism a little sooner to make the whole canvas slightly less taut (because the screens were being stressed). As a sewer, I would imagine that your problem would be solved most easily by installing new screens but with extra binding all around to give them more room.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #13

I've had a CCV top for 5 years as well and have the same problem with one corner of one of my screens. It's by no means a big problem, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Mine is the high top insulated version. I stay in it while hunting in Fall in Alberta. If it's really cold, I just pop the top up 10 inches and it stays very warm up there, although it is a little coffin like. I really like it.

Other than the ripped screen, the only other complaint is about how the canvas is attached. I installed the top myself with a diy kit and I followed Derricks instructions. The canvas was fastened down with self tapping screws into the van body. I'm in the process of redoing that this winter because I feel like I just planted little rust seeds and i'm waiting for them to grow. I'm planning to replace the self tappers with rivnuts, I'll feel better about that.
whatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:14 AM   #14

Going on 3 plus yrs. Torn screens here as well. Brought it in within the 1st year for repair. Also to figure out why when trying to put my top up or down at times it would short out all my electric and the top would be stuck in the up position or not be able to be deployed. Both CCVs so-called repairs were very let's just say worthless. Within a few weeks tears were starting again and well the top was stuck in the up position for three days while camping in Baja til I figured out what was wrong (very poor electrical work by CCV). Even reached out to them for some type of manual override or something, but never heard back. This summer I put this stuff https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...F8&psc=1around the inside and outside of all my screens stitching. Hopefully its a long term solution. Then anyone else experiencing the lifting mechanisms leaving brown rust marks on their canvas? Very thin paint they used on mine is starting to rust leaving marks. But hey I love the top way better than the SMB top just very poor quality control and probably got some growing pains.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote