Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2023, 11:21 AM   #1

Garage
Question how to replace house battery under van

We are looking for practical advise on how to replace the house battery on 2004 econoline. The battery is mounted under the van on passenger side. If anyone can give us an idea of what to expect when we start to remove the battery cover
and lower the battery it would be appreciated. We will be using a table jack, I think. My husband is actually going to do the work, but he isn't very computer savvy, so I am trying to get any helpful information or advise he could use. Is there already a thread that describes this process? Thanks!

Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 01:42 PM   #2

Pretty straight forward - set jack up against battery - undo the mounting strap holding battery in place - lower just enough to unmount each battery cable (I always cover each cable with rubber glove to protect from shorting out until battery wires fully disconnected) and continue to lower jack/battery until clear to move from under van. Remember - IT'S HEAVY ! Just reverse the process to load new battery into position - remember to keep battery terminals covered until ready to attach to terminals - red to positive terminal and black to negative terminal ! Secure mounting strap and tighten all bolts, etc. Oops - Replace battery cover if it still fits (!?) before securing in place !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:28 PM   #3

Garage
As doublevan2 said, these batteries are HEAVY. I replaced mine about a month ago and used a motorcycle jack/lift I purchased used a couple years ago for this exact mission. I'd recommend having extra blocking (wood scraps) around to assist with balancing the battery either on whatever jack you'll be using and/or to lift the battery high enough to get your jack under it when reinstalling. Took me longer than it should have, but these are HEAVY and extra metal keeping my neck vertebrae fused didn't help...

Best of luck!
Old 07-18-2023, 04:33 PM   #4

Garage
Thank you this is really helpful.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:35 PM   #5

Garage
Thank you,
This really helps. We didn't
want to be surprised half way through.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:57 PM   #6

I second the use of some wood scrapes. I would generally bring it down, and sit it on the wood blocks to remove the cables. I have socket wrench and open-closed wrench with electrical tape or heat-shrink wrapped on them to help eliminate becoming sparky.

This would be a good time to add a battery switch in the circuit.

Or if you want to be even safer add a Class T Fuse.

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:29 PM   #7
Spr

I second having a block handy to rest the battery tray on. Be prepared for the cables to be just a little too short, and get ready for a tight work space. As everyone has said it’s heavy. Wood scraps for balancing are key. Also, there might be a temp sensor pad taped to the battery. It will have thin gauge wire running into it. If you have one get some all weather tape to reapply.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:35 AM   #8
Spr

Also, you mentioned changing the “house” battery on the passenger side. If you have a diesel the 2 batteries on the passenger side should be the van batteries. Most house batteries are mounted under the van in the back of the van. The house battery will be 2-3 x the size of a normal car battery.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:25 AM   #9

Garage
They are heavy. Keep body parts clear at all times!

Disconnect the battery ground cable from the frame before beginning. Then no need to protect bettery terminals.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:22 AM   #10

I have a picture tutorial on how I did it, but no idea how to post pics here. Any suggestions?
blair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery replacement