Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: New Lifeline or ?

Do you have An EB or RB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #12

RB and it's a modified50
Old 04-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Most of the time the batteries are mounted just forward the XL storage but on a RB I don't know if there would be room for two side by side. You'll have to climb under and measure. It might be possible to set them in a rack end to end between the frame but I'm guessing. An 8-D doesn't have the total AH of two 4-D's but is better than a single 4-D and you might be able to squeeze one of those in.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #14

That extra 2" in width kills me, just don't seem to have the room between the frame and body where the current battery is. I need to do some more figuring now that you have me wanting more POWER.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Most of the time the batteries are mounted just forward the XL storage but on a RB I don't know if there would be room for two side by side.
There is no way, on my EB doubling the batteries was so tight I'm still worried about diff contact. They're freaking huge, I just don't know where I would put a second if not for having an EB. Probably look at the frame rail, or two (four?) smaller batteries.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #16

I am conserned about the weight and location of the bat's. Seems to me that its right where things get bumped.. most of the time on the trails or thrown up by the front wheels.

I have been looking at putting a small gen set under instead of going with more batteries as it would be higher output, lower weight... and maybe a little more cost effective.
GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Most of the time the batteries are mounted just forward the XL storage but on a RB I don't know if there would be room for two side by side.
There is no way, on my EB doubling the batteries was so tight I'm still worried about diff contact. They're freaking huge, I just don't know where I would put a second if not for having an EB. Probably look at the frame rail, or two (four?) smaller batteries.
I thought the extra length in an EB is found in the rear. I asked Sportsmobile about adding second battery in my RB and they said possibly but it would be tight and dependent on what else is installed there. Peter said he had to look at it first.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #18

Of course, it also depends on the battery in question. Those huge 4Ds or even larger 8Ds take alot more room than Group 27 for example.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
I thought the extra length in an EB is found in the rear. I asked Sportsmobile about adding second battery in my RB and they said possibly but it would be tight and dependent on what else is installed there. Peter said he had to look at it first.
That's how I got a battery inside in the first place, "We'll look and see..."

Old 04-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #20

I don't think I would and I know the little lady would not be real thrilled about the battery being below the cloths in the closet... seems to me that if it vented... or even if it burped... (off road rock and roll,bounce) you get to buy her new cloths.. as they will develope little moth holes... only one problem.. its not moths.. and as you charge them.. guess how much gas is made... ya I know sealed battery... most deep cycle ones I have seen are the good old flooded cell kind... and the hydrogen gas has to go somewhere...

I know you can seal them up real well.. but ... the car manufacture put's 'em outside... and I fugure they know more than I do... as a first clue.

Somehow the're has to be a better way to have power in the outback. I have been seriously looking at the honda 2000i and some way to put it inside a dead sound box... its too bad they don't make a remote start for it too... like they do with the 3000i. Water cooled so it could be tied into the vehicle coolant system... and provide co-gen heat along with a nice elect fuel pump would be the ticket also.

so far the logic for the gen set is leading. The problems we see with bats is.. weight, size, placement, maintenance, life and last... Cost... The economics of them are great if you use 'em all the time.. but most of us are once a month weekend adventures' .. thus they sulfate and have short life if not used also.

right now we are using a combind system... gen set for the cooking, micro, cooling and heavy heating... bats for lights and quiet times... but, that damm refrig keeps short'n the life out of 'em.. so we found. The gen set is too noisy to run all night.. the bats are too light to stay with the program... (inverters that draw 100 amps or more) ... so its a real dog trying to keep a happy ship.

I have even looked at the nicad and new tech batts... for better replacement value... but the metal hydride ones are too expensive and when hot under useage... well we have all seen computers burn up on utube... with the bad ones that break down on their own and short causing a fire... something that would really make your day...

The answer has not been found yet. But, I know I don't like hauling a extra 200+ lbs of batts around... just so I get a one night of lights and fans...
GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote