Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2023, 08:31 PM   #21

Makes perfect sense. It's not a SMB. Thanks for the back story...

TRAVRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVRSS View Post
Any particular AGM batteries recommended. Looks like they aren't cheap... I paid $315 for both of those cheaper ones I currently have and they lasted 7 years. A quick look says the AGM type will last 10.
And am I looking for a 100Ah version?
The ah battery available to you depends on the size you have room for and whether or not you want, or can only fit direct replacements. Many SMB's have group 31 batteries which are generally 100ah in that size.

I bet Boywonder can tell you since it sounds like he looked some stuff up on your batteries.

IMHO there are two things everyone should replace about every 5 years on any camper including these vans which are rarely driven daily. Tires and batteries. You can get a lot more years of premium batteries but if you don't make a hobby of keeping this stuff up religiously your road/camping trips will be a whole lot more predictable and pleasant knowing the age and condition of your tires and batteries.

I have had great luck this past year with O'reilley Auto Parts AGMs, made by East Penn/DEKA and a great bargain to boot. My work truck uses 4 and has heavy power demands. These have been much better in my application than the FLA's I replaced.

There are many threads here on batteries. Give them a read before you go throwing money at your van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I bet Boywonder can tell you since it sounds like he looked some stuff up on your batteries.
Group 24

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/srm-24

FWIW, these batteries are a bit of a hybrid battery...they are listed as a "deep cycle/marine starting battery". Typically for stuff like trolling motors, etc. Starting batteries and deep cycle batteries have different plate structures.....these are somewhere between a starting battery and a deep cycle likely with thick plates but with enough surface area to get sufficient cold cranking amps to start a boat motor.

One giveaway to that is that they list cold cranking amps (CCA). True deep cycles are listed with just amp-hr ratings and the fine print contains a "C" rating this is the max charging/discharge current rating.

If your batteries still last as long as your camping sessions be happy and continue to use them, even if you start to discharge them past 50% SOC. They are gonna be trashed and recycled either way. My last set of AGMs lasted 8+ years and still have lots of capacity left. They are in my garage sitting on a battery tender.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #24

Replacing ACDC Fridge With a 12V DC

Traverse vans have space for two house batteries in the back. To add a third you’d need to expand the battery box. IIRC it will fit either a group 27 or 31 size battery (x2). Get the biggest that will fit. A Duracell AGM Marine Group 31 gives 105ah. I and others have had good luck with this model, available from Sams Club and Batteries Plus.

If going with a straight DC frig I’d definitively want two house batteries.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:09 AM   #25

Thanks again guys! Yes I have two batteries. I'll look through the threads too but those recommendations are priceless as I'm not an electrician (I just learned last week that electricity doesn't move/flow through the wires). 🤦
Back to work... Lots to do before this fridge arrives.
Old 04-14-2023, 04:26 PM   #26

My similar fridge died and I ended up replacing it with a chest style compressor fridge. Specifically the Alpicool C50 fit my old fridge hole perfectly with plent of room to open the lid.. What I really like about the chest fridge is I can store a lot of big items behind the fridge, being mindful not to block the vents.
Attached Thumbnails
E6BF5E92-0FA4-4374-8A9F-6F3982085EF4.jpg  
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:48 PM   #27

And the price of the Alpicool C50 is nice! I did consider the chest style. I went ahead and ordered the OFF already though... Now I just have to figure out how to put it in! Ba da bing ba da boom
Old 04-14-2023, 07:26 PM   #28

Quote:
And the price of the Alpicool C50 is nice! I did consider the chest style. I went ahead and ordered the OFF already though... Now I just have to figure out how to put it in! Ba da bing ba da boom
I was at IndelB America (Formerly Truckfridge) in Georgetown KY last week picking up my new Indel Cruise130. Same as a Truckfridge T130 that I've had a few of. They are excellent units.

Terry just got 12 containers of fridges in with more on the way. He's been waiting on these since the Covid container crisis. The warehouse is PACKED!

Anyone who needs one, they are definitely available now.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:21 PM   #29

Nice! And I've gotta say their shipping is great too. $50 to California, and they shipped next day. Mine will be here on Monday...
Old 04-15-2023, 05:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Nice! And I've gotta say their shipping is great too. $50 to California, and they shipped next day. Mine will be here on Monday...
There is another location out there somewhere. $50 across the country for something this size seems impossible these days.