Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2024, 12:12 PM   #11

Lynx levelers have worked well for me, but if you don't have 4x4 and you need to level the front , it can be difficult because the front tires just push the blocks without 4x4.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:15 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
TwoXentrix -- where do you store your pads ?
Russ, I have the older style Aluminess box which has the tube rail welded around the top (prevents stuff stored up there from slipping off). I carry 2 Scepter Runts (one on each outside edge) and 5 of the rubber leveling pads between them - the 6th pad I keep inside the van sandwiched between 2 pelican cases which hold most of my recovery gear.
With this added weight on the box, and the Honda EU2200 generator I store inside the box, I also added 2 pairs of the Aluminess shim's which are mounted under 4 points of contact (between the top of the rear bumper and the bottom of the swing-out tube support) - this way most of the weight it removed from the swing arm welds & pivot points. Haven't had any issues with this set-up, and I check the welds relatively frequently for cracks.
*I use a pair of the shim's on the Tire swing arm for the same reasons.
As back-up, I apply a safety cable which secures the swing arm's to the bumper in the event something gives while traveling on the road (if either swing arm breaks loose I would rather drag it until I stop than have a vehicle behind me run into one after its fallen off...in turn creating a potential disaster)
Old 02-27-2024, 03:48 PM   #13

I use GoTreads They can be folded in different ways for different heights to pull up on and they make great traction pads when needed
NoData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:17 PM   #14

Second the GoTreads if you are going to buy something. They can level and get you unstuck. I'd just use rocks or whatever you can find around for the most part, but if you are going to buy and carry something it makes the most sense to have an item that can do more than just level you out at camp.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I also added 2 pairs of the Aluminess shim's which are mounted under 4 points of contact (between the top of the rear bumper and the bottom of the swing-out tube support) - this way most of the weight it removed from the swing arm welds & pivot points.
Thats nearly exactly what I did, but I also welded gussets to the pivots, and have a chain from the bottom of the box to the trailer hitch with a cam lock that pulls the box down onto the pads when latched. I carry 15 gallons of fuel on top and a Honda gen inside. I've had the box swing open accidentally while driving with no issues, so I'm guessing your fine too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 06:31 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
... and have a chain from the bottom of the box to the trailer hitch with a cam lock that pulls the box down onto the pads when latched.
That's an interesting approach! I can see how that would keep all stress off the swing arms since it also alleviates any up-travel . No rush, but at some point I would love to see a pic of that set-up. Also assume you have some sort of backing plate on the inside of the box where chain attaches???
Thanks for sharing arctic.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:31 AM   #17

They aren’t cheap but I’m loving my inflatable leveler
Kelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 01:57 PM   #18

I have used my GoTreds for years now and I really like them. They are compact, easily cleanable, and easily stored away.
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:01 PM   #19

I made leveling blocks exactly like the ones in this article. https://www.rv.com/archive/multi-use-leveling-blocks/ They work great and were free because I had the 2x6 and pvc laying around. I store them in the basement storage. I also use my traction boards as additional levelers if needed.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote