Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #11

Re: Spray Paint System

JWA: You know, I wondered about restricted air flow of that Motor Guard filter too. I think I will pass on it for now and see how things go without it. Also I picked the gun from the H.F. line up for the simple reason that it was the gravity feed gun with the least cfm/volume requirement.

And I wonder if I put the filters on the inlet of the portable tank (rather than on the outlet) if I could keep the flow from pulsing/dropping off?

On a side note, it is raining here and I have to do some trailer wiring soldering heat shrink tubing outisde today. So although my Weller WESD51 soldering station was delivered, I won't use it, but will use my regular gun. But my point is that the Pyropen is a likely purchase at this point:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IC ... 1_1&sr=8-1

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350

And I wonder if I put the filters on the inlet of the portable tank (rather than on the outlet) if I could keep the flow from pulsing/dropping off?
Locating the filters on the secondary tank inlet should help a bit since you have a relatively large stored air volume downstream of that restriction when the air is flowing.

The Weller WESD51 is a great iron.......I have two of them one with a digital readout and one without. Consider picking up a few different tips.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

What do you plan to spray? Unless it is pretty small you might look at getting a 20 oz gun instead of the 4oz touchup gun. Something like this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-prof ... 68843.html
Or if you think you need both sizes I have been using this kit with good results:
http://www.harborfreight.com/profession ... 94572.html
The touchup guns do use less CFM so with your smaller compressor they might perform better. The 20oz gun in the kit uses slightly less CFM than the individual according to the specs. Otherwise it looks like you are on the right track. I don't have any issues running the disposable filters at the gun, but I spray of a 12CFM compressor with a 80 gallon tank.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #14

Telesteve: This is compressor which I really want, but which is far down in the budget.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-ga ... 93274.html

Nothing less seems to give a similar CFM wo which you have.

Others recommeded the guns which you recommended, so you are in good company. However, none of them fit within the 6.2 CFM of my little compressor. So I think that I am stuck designing the spray paint system within my compressor's limitations.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #15

FWIW, I painted my poptop (base coat clear coat) with a non-HVLP touch up gun and a 25 gallon sears compressor....had to do a lot of paint refills.....

That 60 gallon unit is sexy but I'm pretty sure you can successfully paint with something less.

BTW Sears compressors are made by DeVilbiss....

The only sears unit I've seen go tits-up in recent years was an upright 60 gallon pro model at work, where it was being used beyond it's duty cycle. I've had a couple at home and they all were running fine when I replaced them.

My current unit is a belt drive 25 gallon job........the direct drive units work great; and they are oilless to boot....they are just noisier than a belt drive and spin much faster.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #16

Well TeleSteve, you were right. I must have felt like some women, it was a lot smaller in person.

So I went with this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high ... 47016.html
But dang, I forgot to buy an adjustable air regulator for it !!!

I will work at 6 CFM @ 40 PSI. So my compressor can probably drive it.

It also accepts the 2 Oz. Disposable Paint Spray Cups which is appealable to me.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-ai ... 97098.html

I also bought the 11 gallon portable air tank, but I am confused about how to hook it up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-gallon- ... 65595.html

It has a Schrader valve on the inlet side and a 1/4" female NPT on the outlet. I get that the outlet side, but I don't know how to hook up the inlet side (I bought a locking bike/Schrader valve female head to hook up to the air hose from the compressor) but doesn't a Schrader valve constitute a restriction in the flow? Also does not function as a check valve, so I just leave it in the "on" position? Is there a better way to connect to the inlet of the tank? I am confused...

JWA: I also ordered the Pyropen from Amazon today. I seem to always be surprised by Winter and I am not prepared and there is still a lot of wiring stuff I have to do outdoors... boywonder have you ever used one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IC ... 1_1&sr=8-1
Attached Thumbnails
20 fl. oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gunll.jpg   Air Spray Gun Disposable Paint Cups 5 Pkll.jpg   11 gal. Portable Air Tank (2).jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #17

The valve is probably just an open valve body with no specific direction for filling/pressurizing. If you remove the plug and the hose you can probably see right through it. Check it first but I doubt it makes much difference which way round it goes. You can use teflon tape on the threads to re-do them if they don't have compression ends.

The disposable cups are handy, they also make liners for the bigger cups that make cleanup a bit easier.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #18

witoke: Interesting. I will check it out. So, if I get what you are saying, I could actually put a T on the outlet side and run my compressor to one leg of the T on the outlet side and the other leg of the T on the outlet side to the paint gun?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Well TeleSteve, you were right. I must have felt like some women, it was a lot smaller in person.

So I went with this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high ... 47016.html
But dang, I forgot to buy an adjustable air regulator for it !!!

I will work at 6 CFM @ 40 PSI. So my compressor can probably drive it.

t also accepts the 2 Oz. Disposable Paint Spray Cups which is appealable to me.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-ai ... 97098.html
I bought that gun first, it doesn't lay down paint as well as the proffesional models, it only comes with a large tip.
The HF disposable cups don't seal well to the guns so paint tends to drip on your work, be prepared to add some Teflon tape or thread sealing compound.
Keep in mind that your compressor is rated at 90 psi these guns are rated at 40 psi. Your little compressor will likely push a little more CFM at 40 psif. The additional storage tank will help too.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Your compressor output should be connected to your reservoir tank----let it be pressurized to the compressor's max PSI. An outlet from the reservoir tank to your filtering system then to a pressure regulator (for the HVLP gun) would be next in line. This configuration will give you a bit of a buffer regarding CFM's at the gun---very important when spraying as it gives more consistent air flow delivery.

I'm not familiar with that HF HVLP gun but see if there are replacement air caps and/or fluid tips available-----changing those to better suit your exact needs typically gives much better results than a stock configuration. If those aren't available for that gun and/or you anticipate spraying more projects in the future consider moving up one or two steps to the "pro quality" where more tailoring is possible.

Additionally there might be larger material cups available so frequent refills aren't necessary. It would trouble me knowing the cup could/would drip so that'd be something to take care of right away. Talk about a buzz kill if it does drip on a fresh pass.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote