Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #71
Site Team

Garage
I've used chainsaws all my life and have owned several Husqvarna's from 12 to 24" but have never used a small limbing saw. I'd like to hear what others think about using a battery operated 10" chainsaw to cut firewood that ranges no larger than about 4" in diameter. I'm just trying to find enough firewood for a campfire...not for the home. I understand that kick back is an issue in some cases but wonder how difficult they are to work on the ground when all I'm after small branches or limbs.

Even though it seems everybody prefers a standard chainsaw,a 10" limbing saw with the blade off is a small package. For cutting wood most every other type electric just do not seem to cut well enough to give up a hand saw and the storage space.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #72

Dave, I may've said this already but I bought a Kobalt (Lowe's) 12 inch bar and a Stihl 192 climbing saw awhile back. I love them both. MOST of my tree work is done one handed with that awesome little Stihl (12 inch bar and 8 lbs.), but for camping the Kobalt 12 inch is hard to beat. Unfortunately it isn't a small saw but it is a light one. If I removed the bar that would help. I can cut about 50 4" or so cuts with the lithium battery, and it's silent. That's what is important for camping. A silent saw is a beautiful thing. It only makes as much noise as the chain cutting through the wood.

Oh, somehow I missed that video you linked above until now. That thing is insane! I've never seen a tree eater like that. Unbelievable.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #73

daveb: This is what Stihl says about their top of the line Ms201T (apparently not as good as the previous version MS200T without porting and muffler mod):

"Top handle (T) The top-handle model is specially designed for in-tree professional use only!"

I am sure that you know that those top handle topping/climbing saws (like the Stihl MS192T which 86Scotty has and the cat's meow Stihl MS200T which ert01 has) are the most dangerous types of chainsaws, for two reasons.

1. When used on the ground one-handed the bar will fall and hit your feet after completing the cut because they pivot on the top handle rather than being kept up by your hand behind the pivot point like a rear handle saw which generally requires using two hands;

2. When used one-handed (either on the ground or in a tree like they are designed for) the chain brake is inoperative. Because it is the hand on the front handle which is hit by the chain brake lever during kickback which engages the chain brake. If your hand is not on the front handle when the saw kicks back, the brake will not engage to stop the chain before it hits your face.

So, reading the arborist sites, the small light top handle chainsaw is the most dangerous type of chainsaw out there.

Even when I was carrying a chainsaw for 8 hours a day for four months between college and graduate school doing timber stand selection in the La Porte/Feather River watershed, at least two guys when limbing one-handed cut their hands so bad by raising their hands to block the rear handled Stihl 034's from hitting their face in a kickback - they were out for the season. (The 034's also had a bar which was flush with the bottom of the case, another two guys cut their thighs resting the saw on their thighs. Stihl later went with a bar design which was higher up on the saw from the bottom of the case.)

Point is that a topping/climbing saw should only be used one-handed when you can only use one hand, which is pretty much only when you are up in a tree.

Husqvarna T435 and Stihl MS192T are both worthy of your consideration:

http://arboristsite.com/community/th...ng-saw.117611/
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #74

I hate thinking about how dangerous saws are, but I know they are. It's for good reason that tree work is probably the most dangerous occupation out there. I typically just cut 5 or 6 times a year so that lessens my odds, and I always wear chainsaw specific gloves, chaps and an arborist's helmet. I'm certainly not saying that any of these will protect me. It is just plain dangerous. It's always good to be reminded of that. That said, I've never had a kickback with any saw. I'm always wondering when it will happen. I have nicked my thigh or pants leg exactly twice with a saw. I remember both vividly. Both were when I was starting to get tired and your mind just gets lazy about the times your arms start to get tired. It's best to take a break right then if you can.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #75

86Scotty: I am glad to hear that you like your MS192T, because it is one of the saws I am considering. And like you suggest, I probably will get an arborist's or a rock climbing helmet for the few times I plan to be in a tree. When I am on the ground, I prefer the regular brimmed Stihl hard hat with the face screen and ear muffs which I have been using for 35 years.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #76
Site Team

Garage
Well I still think a chainsaw like the MS-192 might do OK but I'm after a battery operated saw. It's a trade off long vs short bars. We even used to install a larger bar on some smaller saws so we didn't have to bend over as far when clearing & cutting small stuff on the ground. But at work these days we only do minor tree work and the Stihl lithium battery model is so nice to use. It's just larger than what I want. I'm not so much concerned about handling a limbing chain saw, more just wondering if they make the job more difficult. Like I said I'm not cutting 6" wood or larger. I've been bit a time or two by saws over the years and know you need to watch your butt around these things.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
86Scotty: When I am on the ground, I prefer the regular brimmed Stihl hard hat with the face screen and ear muffs which I have been using for 35 years.
Oh, that's what I meant. That's the one I have and I love that thing. I've had mine for years but still can't believe I went for so long with a face full of sawdust and the noise of a screaming saw.

On the 192 vs 200/201, unless you are a professional I just can't see how to justify the cost. That little 192 is a real performer and you can mod it to get a lot more out of it easily as well.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #78

Home Depot had their Ryobi electric chain saws on sale a few weeks ago. Picked one up and really like it. Cuts fas even through 7" diameter fir and lilac. It is much quieter than my 18" gas Echo. We have several of their One Series electric tools so have lots of back up batteries.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 04:23 PM   #79

Garage
And... This thread is back

Just wanted to chime in with my saw choice(s) after having read this thread a few years ago and having packed around a couple of different cutting utensils since.

Living in Idaho, I take advantage of traveling and camping in some fairly remote locations where it's not uncommon to go days without encountering any other vehicles. Many of these areas have been previously burned in wildfires and have dead snags everywhere, so chances of encountering fresh blowdown across roads is common. For me the decision to carry a saw was more about cutting myself out than for cutting firewood. With that in mind, I initially built a box (that sits in my external swing out bumper basket) to house my Stihl 036 gas powered chainsaw. As others have posted, a gas saw has zero business residing in a passenger compartment due to fumes and leaking fuel and bar oil. I really do like having that saw in my bumper box with all the associated fuel, oil, chaps, gloves, falling axe, wedges, and sacrificial clothing when going into the back country. What I don't like, is when I carry the chainsaw it takes away my ability to use the bumper basket for drinking water or my Honda generator for which i built a different box.

After a couple of instances of having to choose between bringing the chainsaw or extra water or a generator, I decided to give one of the Silky Katanaboys a try. These are basically a long handled hand saw with a looong blade, think pruning saw on steroids. What I like is that these fold flat and take up a small footprint inside the van. I always have the saw in the van and don't have to make the choice as to bring it or not. Over the past few years, I've had the opportunity to use the Silky Saw on a handful of occasions. I must say that it is an impressive little beast. These are very sharp and do make relatively quick work of cutting through logs. I've only used it on logs up to about 10" in diameter so far, but it's performed very well. It should be able to cut through much larger logs with patience and proper technique, of course having wedges on hand to prevent binding would be a plus.

Overall, if I knew I was going to be using a saw for any significant cutting I'd go with a gas chainsaw 100% of the time. However, packing a gas saw around isn't all that handy. So when I'm not planning on cutting, having the Silky Saw around (just in case) is my preferred go too.

https://silkysaws.com/silky-katanaboy-650-folding-saw/
Old 12-16-2023, 07:48 PM   #80

I've always heard good things about those Steve. I should pick one up.

I may've commented previously on this in this thread but having a winch on a heavy van is, to me, just as important as having some kind of say. With blow-down crossing the road I'm almost always going to try to pull it out of the way before I saw it out of the way.