Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2023, 10:27 PM   #81

A handy miniature chainsaw is this Saker model (https://www.amazon.ca/Saker-Chainsaw...0947XTHF8?th=1). I was looking for the smallest chainsaw available that I could attach to a pole to cut an out of reach oak branch blocking dish reception when I came across it. Reviews were good, so I took a chance. Ended up using it all around the property to trim brush and branches. It is rated to cut maximum 4” diameter wood, lithium battery powered, smaller than any models on display at Home D or Lowes, comes in a compact carrying case. Camping buddies I’ve demonstrated it to all said they want one. Just another tool in the toolbox.

Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 06:48 AM   #82

I like it but I don't take chances on no name tools because of the batteries. In 5 years when you need more batteries will this company be around? For that reason, with this type of saw, I would go with the Milwaukee or better known brand.

As I said this doesn't apply to just saws. I have bought a couple of tools with their own distinct batteries and I have to consider them a throw away tool.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:25 PM   #83

If money is an issue, the Silky Bigboy is still a beast of a saw at $80. IMHO, it doesn't matter if you have a chainsaw, you should have a saw like this that lives in the van anyway.

The next step up, is a cordless reciprocating saw. It's best to buy a brand that you already have batteries for. Otherwise the Ridgid is $99 with a battery and charger. Add another $20 for a pack of pruning blades and you can easily tackle up to a 12in tree.

For me, a saw is like Maxtraxs, tires, a compressor, or a winch. You really don't want to gamble on quality.
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:12 AM   #84

Garage
I use my corded Milwaukee Super Sawzall around the yard for pruning up to about 3".
I use a long pruning blade. I like it just fine. Not much noise, no smoke, no fumes. I can dig the blade right into the dirt. A Sawzall is a dang handy tool to have around. It's no substitute for a good chainsaw when it comes to tree work. I would get the best battery chainsaw I could afford and at least two batteries.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #85

Given the fact that there isn't one tool that will serve all circumstances nor one that will satisfy everyone's preferences...

For cutting larger wood, I just got a Katanaboy 500 saw, brought to my attention by comments on this thread and purchased after some due diligence. It replaces a 30 inch bow saw carried in the van. The latter was always awkward to store and access, whereas the minimal profile of this large capacity folding saw makes easy stowing. Its cutting ability is phenomenal. No gas smell, no battery charging, extremely compact.

Makes me think of the book “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" where the narrator ponders the concept of Quality. One can break down individual aspects such as materials, design, craftsmanship, sturdiness, etc. But it ultimately comes down to this: one instantly recognizes quality when one sees (and experiences) it. As is the case with this piece of hardware.

Many thanks for the recommendation.

The brain trust on this forum is second to none.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 08:47 AM   #86

So I’m a person that has resisted the battery chainsaws for far too many years, I own 7 chainsaws, they are tools make sure you have the right size for the job.

That said I have purchased both the Milwaukee 18v chainsaws to be kind to my neighbors at 7am.

This saw is now become my go to for everything! https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2826-21T. It is a very powerful small saw that will cut through anything you throw at it with a sharp chain, battery life with the 8a or 12a battery is very impressive.

When you take the bar off(on-board tool) it’s easy to pack in the van or box on the bumper and goes together quickly. Since I already bring along a Milwaukee impact gun on our road trips they use the same battery.

I’d highly recommend the Milwaukee top handle saw!!

Rob
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 01:27 PM   #87

Nice Rob.

I guess it's time to update this thread. My current battery top handle saw is a Makita 10" bar and it's a great little saw. My only problem with it is I don't have any other Makita battery tools so I just keep 2 3ah(?) batteries for it. It lives in the van. I'm a Dewalt guy or I would be a lot more interested in the M18 you posted about. Dewalt's battery saws are as of yet no good to me. Too big. My favorite feature of the little Makita is it's 19" overall length.

If Dewalt doesn't up their game in the next few years I'll probably just buy the Husky or Stihl top handle battery saw.

Here's the one I currently have:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-L...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are lots of these out there now but I watched a shootout a couple years back around the time I got this one and it has a very impressive spin speed vs. a lot of the other battery saws.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:29 PM   #88

I have a Dewalt 20v chainsaw with 12" bar that I use mainly for MTB trail maintenance work, as it's fairly small and light and I can pack it in on my bicycle or back if needed. With a sharp chain it does a surprisingly good job. I got it used for $75 or so. Since all my tools are Dewalt it made sense to stay with the brand, even though I'm sure there are better saws out there.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote