Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #141

Re: Accrete's AWD Chevy Van project

Ah yes i see how one could be confused with that image. Here is another shot of the area but i've not installed the Froli Sleep System or the mattress topper:

What you see is a sliding black panel (2) that allows for access to a street side closet-storage area at bed height. Then in front of that the bathroom closet.

The walls are still covered with the original hull liner material seen in this photo:

The work in the first photo (with cabinetry) was our spring 2013 upfit by Van Specialties. They also re did the headliner:

BUT as you can see from this latest photo we have made all trim to match the black and have removed all ACU Camo from the van interior.

Thom

accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #142

Hi Thom,

Thanks for the clarification on not having the side window. I like the look of the flush mounted LED ceiling lights. So far I have purchased 2 swivel mounted LED reading lights and have been looking for some nice flush mounted lights. Are you happy with their light color, brightness and pattern? Can you tell me where you located your lights? On your steel bedframe, is it made from 3/4" or 1" square tube and does it have a center vertical support leg or is it clear span? Is the frame anchored to the floor or removable? I hope I don't drive you crazy with all the questions but opinions of everyone on this site that has field use with their vans in priceless information. Thanks again.

Jim
azjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #143

Hi Jim, & no worries on asking the questions. It's a pleasure to help.

OK, so the lights? I have no idea! When we had Van Specialties redo the headliner they installed the two of them. They are handy, though we still find ourselves using individual reading lights and such as needed so they are not on more than occasionally to organize the room before bed.

On the bed frame it is black powder coated 1" square tubing. There are vertical legs about 16" in from the walls on each side. Then there are three legs per side on that line that run down to a matching steel tube runner over the stock rubber flooring. There are then three welded tabs per side-base-runner that have through-floor-bolts/washers/nuts. Under the 3/8" marine ply deck there is a frame with horizontal tube supports at front-midpoint-rear of the ~full size bed area. There is no give in the bed with my wife and i on there (~400lbs total?).

Thom
Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete
Please keep a few things in mind as you read through this build thread:

1) I'm just a regular guy...my day job has nothing to do with RV repair or maintenance so anything you see or read in this build thread posted by myself is from a non-professional POV.

2) Please always follow common sense and manufacturer's suggestions.

3) Please leave comments and suggestions!

I will use this initial post to place the latest image of van and subsequent posts as project progresses.

Here is a recent picture of our rig towing our rig taken in November of 2013:

I want to thank the gang at the SMB, ExpeditionPortal, & Wander The West forums for all the posts on their projects that have given my wife and i ideas and direction through all the many hours of reading (actually since about 2008?).

We began with a 2010 stock cargo Chevy Express AWD Van purchased new in late October 2010. We wanted AWD for our wet roads on the Oregon Coast, and also knew we did not need 4x4 capability for the trails and camps we visit. Over 30 years of off roading in various rigs we found ourselves _needing_ 4x4 only to _play_. For daily driving we had grown fond of the AWD setup in Mitsubishi and Volvo, and with a local friend with the same Chevy AWD we believed it would be a winner for us.

Some basic add-ons on the outside:
Shown with 24" Fiberine fiberglass top, Fiamma F45 Awning installed by Van Specialties in Portland Oregon. My wife & I applied the 3m Di-noc vinyl wrap on hood & emblem...we really should have asked for help on that one! LED Truck-Lite head lights ROCK!!! A friend helped install the Boulder Off Road 2" lift (actually ~2.5"~). Vancouver Rhino Liner did the rockers and wheel wells

Here is one shot of the interior...

PS update NOW: The rig continues to amaze us in its _ability_ and comfort + convenience. To be able to take spontaneous trips to where ever knowing the van has full provisions and capability for a comfortable week away from home and power is wonderful. We recently had it's third oil change at ~16K miles and we enjoy it more each trip.

As always, your constructive critique and thoughts are appreciated !
Thom ( & Cari )
Old 05-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #145

Here are a couple recent shots of our setup.

A typical camp set up...this one at Nehalem Bay State Park located about 45 minutes south of us on the Oregon Coast:

And this was taken on a side trip driving some of the logging roads. This road is called "Cook Creek Road" and is about a 20 minute drive (to road entrance) south of the state park off HWY 53. Expect some logging traffic if going on a workday, CB radio is advised to monitor traffic. There are some dispersed campsites on this road and it is worth the trip if visiting the area. A placard at the road entrance shows the location of campsites. Bring your GPS as there are lots of side trails/roads you can travel.

map on placard:

Here is a shot on the trail:

Happy Trails,
Thom
Attached Thumbnails
MAP_CookCreekRoad-NehalemOR.jpg   2014-05-15_NehalemBayOR_02.jpg  
Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #146

Recently in two other forums i frequent (expeditionportal.com and cheaprvliving.com) posters have asked what type of millage these rigs get. I've shared elsewhere those figures and will share my latest numbers.

Now our van typically sits at ~6,800/6,900lbs at the scales with full tanks, two occupants, and supplies for ~2+ weeks. Its GVWR is 7,000lbs...so we run very close to max nearly all the time. All that to say...

~60% city / 40% highway ~13mpg
~40% city / 60% highway ~15mpg

And while towing our 15ft fiberglass trailer (2,300lbs at scales)...
~40% city / 60% highway ~12mpg

So there you have my official update. Rig currently has just under 25,000 miles on it.

...Link to an updated photo of the home-on-wheels...

Happy Trails,
Thom
Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #147

Thom,
I searched and couldn't find it... can you tell me what gear ratio you are running? I know you've got the G80 locker option.

I'm pretty certain I'd like to find a rig with 3.73's, but just curious if the 3.42's would be a deal breaker if everything else was what we were looking for.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
...I'm pretty certain I'd like to find a rig with 3.73's, but just curious if the 3.42's would be a deal breaker if everything else was what we were looking for.
Greetings. Thx for the stop by & question on the ratio. I'll verify with my dealer/vin# but i'm pretty certain all the 1500's in 2010 had the 3.42. Just out of curiosity, since i'm not a gear-ratio-numbers guy...having the 3.73 might mean a bit lower rpm at speed?
When i purchased our rig in the fall of 2010 it was one of two left on lots on the west coast...so i had the local chevy fleet manager do a vehicle swap and get it to the coast for us.
Beggars can't be choosers

Cheers,
Thom

A Post Script edit/addition. I found a 2013 brochure (they haven't really changed much if anything)... I've attached a jpg of the appropriate area. What it shows is that the AWD "Van" comes with the 3.42 only. BUT if you wanted the passenger "Wagon" you could order it with either the 3.42 or 3.73. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
axle ratio on AWD van.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #149

Higher RPM at speed...better for low-speed work: starts from stops, off-road, etc.

BTW, my first post in this thread...LOVE your van! It's minimalist but ultra-functional. Every time I start pondering an SMB conversion I look at your thread and can't help thinking about how much better a custom-buld from VS would be. Kudos to you, sir!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #150

THX for the Van-Kudos & clarification on the numbers
If it is of any help...we've never even remotely felt like we couldn't manage a situation we've had the van in. Granted it has never been over the rubicon like our fj back in the day, but forestry trails/roads and beach/dunes have not been an issue. And as you might have read the rig is just a hundred or so pounds under GVWR most days.

And best wishes on your future build/project!

Thom

Tags
aluminess, awd, promaster