Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #11

Those won't work. Those are dually wheels.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #12

https://ocala.craigslist.org/wto/d/o...906881941.html

More $ but actually look decent:
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/wto...903083438.html
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #13

Sorry about your troubles. The CL listings here are generally pretty good about specifying that their 8-lug wheels are for a dualie and that helps narrow things down when you're looking for the non-dualie 8-lug wheels.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #14

Thanks guys.
carringb, those are interesting, I hadn't noticed them because of the price. Tempted to call anyway. I'd still need a "work grade set by the end 'cause I'd hate to break up the set. When I'm ready to call the recycling guy to come tow what's left of my donor away it'd be hard to not just give him the second pair "just 'cause".
Dang you!
Now I'm gonna lay awake trying to talk myself out of calling, the idea was to buy a throw away set cheap....
... hell if those are runners I could sell my donor set to pay for the spacers at $350 +\- a pair.....
... another sleepless night

Speaking of spacers. The offset. Do folk just run their rear tires sticking out the extra distance of the spacers? While widening the foot print of the front and rear might be a nice look that would get me in over 700 clams just in spacers. This conversion stuff is not for the weak of heart
1972 Bronco, I sure wish I had checked the oil :/
'69 Schwinn
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #15

Local CL has 16" 8-170 steelies for $25 a pop and it looks like he has two complete sets, one with stock width rims and one with wider rims. Actually, the ad does not specify "170" but does say SuperDuty in the year range in which this is the size. Unless the guy is mistaken.

Here's an idea: buy one complete set and redrill on a 6.5" circle between the existing holes; that way you could run the same wheels front or rear with no adapters required. You're welcome. In fact, I could do that for my own van! Hell, I'm welcome!

https://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/d/colonial-heights-super-duty-16inch/6908082627.html

99-04 SUPER DUTY 16INCH STEEL RIMS - $25 (CHESTERFIELD)

FITS 99-04 SUPERDUTY 16" STEEL RIMS $25.00 EACH

THANKS,

CALL OR TEXT RON 804-513-0912
Old 06-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post

Speaking of spacers. The offset. Do folk just run their rear tires sticking out the extra distance of the spacers? While widening the foot print of the front and rear might be a nice look that would get me in over 700 clams just in spacers. This conversion stuff is not for the weak of heart
If you installed 1.5" adapters (which are $370 for a pair, not each BTW), the rear track width will match your front track width. The E-series runs a narrower rear track width except in the cutaway chassis.

Most folks buy 2" for the rear, because you won't need to trim the existing studs.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #17

carringb,
Once again, thanks.
That’s perfect.
Anyone know the reason or have a theory as
to why they spread the fronts out a tad?
Just curious.

campism,
Great minds think a like, and sometimes I come up with the good ideas that just happens to coincide with a great mind.
It had occurred to me to wallow out the holes. Now that I have a plasma cutter on the way I would think that would be relatively easy. Add hefty washers and be good to go. I’m pretty sure you had tongue-in-cheek but I’d be a little nervous actually running on those :-).

A nice advantage as a rollaround project set is they would fit both sets of lugs. Heck with all those 6 1/2 as available to you in Chesterfield you could go in business. Cheaper to ship the wheels sans tires.
Considering what our times worth you could make some money, home-builders could save time and worry about other things.
(I’m guessing most folks don’t run into this as their donors may not have sets that they want to save. ?)
Buyer takes the wheels to your local friendly tire store and wait for a fresh set of worn out tires.
I’m actually serious. If my time is worth anything at all (debatable) and I end up with 5 to 10 hours in solving this problem the smart-money would be happy to pay for modified wheels.

( .... on a personal note: I am from Ashland north of Richmond. If I was coming up sooner I would’ve been your first customer )

Cheers
'69 Schwinn
Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
Anyone know the reason or have a theory as
to why they spread the fronts out a tad?
Just curious.
Ford told one large upfitter the narrower rear wheel track was to reduce warranty claims from curb strikes. I suspect that was really just an excuse to use the same width axle as the F-series, which prior to the SuperDuty, was a narrower truck all around, including the chassis. The wider frame and front track-width on the vans was necessary to drop the engine down lower between the frame rails.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #19

carringb,
See what you made me do....
$300. They are (were) bright aluminum that he Plasti Dipped.
They don’t really serve my purpose but I couldn’t resist picking them up. Figured I’d try pressure washing to take coating off, it has already started peeling.

Now that I see a set of 35 x 12.5s off a vehicle I see how massive they are. I wonder what peoples opinions of smaller tire sizes that still look good on a 4 x 4 E-350 Super Duty considering the necessary lift?
Attached Thumbnails
15EE3452-C186-47CA-9299-DA8ECA77F9E6.jpg  
'69 Schwinn