Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Flux's GAATMHQ Build

I have always admired Sportsmobiles. Well, lusted after them really. But the timing and cash flow were always off. Then I took my family on a road trip in our SUV. We breezed by many beautiful places and I thought back to my younger days when I would stop to enjoy these places and just stay there, sleeping in the back of my S-10. But then I thought maybe it was time for a van. So I started poking around here and looked around in this sub-forum..............oops.

So a few newbie posts, a blessing from the wife, and the wisdom and kidness of strangers who love vans, I took the plunge. This is whole thing is for my family, so we can get out there and see the West before the little guys grow up. It's also for me, because I am impulsive and need a challenge to drive me. I now have a Van Problem.

PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES

Scouring the internet for vans, I finally happed into the right search engine and up came my van. So I left my house at 3:30am with a cashiers check, drove to the train, train to the airport, picked up in a Taurus, looked the van over, drove it, signed the paper, traded check for keys and hauled 400 miles home and made it in time for dinner. Phoenix to LA.
2013 EB V-10 5 Speed, 54k miles. Started it's life as a tire delivery van. Cargo tracks and cage.

About 100 miles into the trip it dawned on me. Those cargo tracks are screwed to the floor..........oh boy.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

A DAY IN THE LIFE

..and although the holes were rather small, we had to weld them all. Now we now how many holes it takes to fill the van floor....

Today was the first day of sweat equity into the build. Thus I decided to start the home build thread, it's real now. A work buddy has a bitchin' MIG, way better than my Harbor Freight flux core. So he came over and we got started. Basically he welded topside while I moved the copper backer from hole to hole and made sure all was well with the slag underneath and we didn't burn any lines. We stayed clear of the gas tank. I have to drop that out and then we can finish.

Welding really is the only choice here. It will restore the integrity of the floor, otherwise it's swiss cheese with a bunch of silicone goop bushed through it. So it had to be done right.

The Man!!

My first attempt with the flux core welder. You can see the center crack. I had no mask though so I was going blind. It cleaned up though.

Next is drop the tank, finish the welds, grind, sand, prime, and paint. I figure a couple coats of primer/filler underneath will take care of the bottom.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #3

Dang, that's a lot of screws, and holes, and welds. Kudos! Looks like you're doing things right!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

CRAIGSLIST SCORE

It often seems as though every desirable part is in Orange County or the East Coast. But some late night Craigslist action came up big. Emailed the guy with my number at 7:30 am and these were in hand at 9. I had been searching for a 50"-54" wide forward folding bench seat. The idea is that the seat folds forward and a mattress folds over it to make the bed. The folded seat height becomes the rear storage height.

I had almost given up and was about to call shop4seats.com and drop some coin for a rock and roll bed. Guy gave me two folding seats for 50 bucks. They are in great shape!! I will probably get leather put on em when I decide on the front captains and can match the set.

I have some modifications to do to the bases and possibly the wheels well to make all this fit right. I'd like the folded seat to be about 18 high. I can also hinge the panel behind it for access to the rear storage.

Belt says GM on it. I am trying to track down year and model. Any guesses??

This is the Ginger Army, they approve of their van seats.

Model and year?? Anyone??

Folded For Bed Platform
Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #5

Looks like a Chevy Astro rear seat
Old 09-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #6

Yep, or GMC Safari I guess. Found em in pics of a 97. Actually pretty comfy. These have been stored for years. Very little wear on them. I can get some leather covers and spiff em out. Probably be into them for less than 1000 bucks with covers, brackets, backers, and bolts. Just the sofa and pad I was considering would have set me back 1500.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Taken For Granted

200 holes, give or take, welded, ground, and rattlecanned. I will never take it for granted that someone wouldn't turn a thin sheet metal floor into swiss cheese.

Now to get on with it. Sound Deadening and floor insulation next. Stuff will be here next week
Old 09-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

First major DIY

Today is a good day. Whilst putting together my flooring template it occurred to me that I should probably build an underfloor storage box while I don't have a floor to deal with. Luckily, I have spent some time in my career making aluminum boxes and brackets and other such things. I also program the turret punch at work, have an ace guy on the press brake, and a tig welder guy who is like magic. Throw them a couple buck in appreciation and ta da!!

The box is 31x15x12 deep with and need a 20 x 12 opening in the floor. It's made from 0.125 3003 aluminum. It's mouth is then 18.5 x 10.5 the mouth opening flange is 0.875 deep and that should bring it very close to flush with a 1/2" sheet of plywood and a bit of insulation. It can recess if it wants. Plan is to secure it to the deck at the low spots with 1/4" bolts all around the perimeter. Then the install hardware will be hidden under the plywood. I used a little trick to make the leading edge double thickness, but the 12" depth is less than my hitch so it should hit on a higher approach angle. This will fit between the body cross member on my EB.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #9

Gorgeous. To bad it will be hidden.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Gorgeous. To bad it will be hidden.
Yeah, you should put mirrors under your van when you park it for the first few months, like they do at car shows. That box is a thing of beauty.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote