Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

Re: Hyozan Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
John,
Some half-steps you might want to think about; pre-wire for solar, pre-wire (if possible) for electric penthouse in case you change you mind, and as you add to the load on top of the penthouse
Herb
Its very good advice Herb. I agonized over spending the extra for a power top, and still kind-of concerned about the lifting force needed after adding solar. I don't expect to put much else up there but who knows...

2006 Porsche Carrera S
2012 E250 Sportsmobile(ish) - in process
johnamullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #12

Hey Welcome to the Forum!! Sweet find and looks pretty new! I bought a fleet vehicle too and was pleased with the condition of it. Looking forward to the build!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #13

I'm not no sure about pre-wiring for a possible future electric PH top .. I'd call SMB Fresno just to be 100% certain. When I got mine installed it was either the manual or electric. No thinking ahead and pre-wiring for a later electric PH top. I opted for the electric since the re-fitting would be much more costly later down the road.

I do regret not having them do the pre-wiring for solar .. but you've already thought that one through.

This topic has been discussed before where owners of manual PH tops wanted to convert them to electric PH tops. The topic of how much weight you can have on top with an electric PH top has also been discussed.

BTW, nice score on the van.

Ray
06 E350 RB
06 E350 Quigley V10
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #14

I would highly recommend under-floor storage. It's nice getting the rarely-used stuff out of the way, and have space for spare parts. It's also a good place to stash valuables. Mine is covered with a floormat, so I really doubt a thief would ever notice the hatch (unless they went after the floormat).
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #15

Assuming your future layout accommodates it, I agree with carringb.

Another poster had said NOT to get underfloor storage so that you can keep your spare tire there. This would make your van easier to park in the city bec you wouldn't have to mount the tire on the rear swing out, since your main usage is as a daily driver.

Hey man, get the underfloor storage - the locking one ... well worth it. You never have enough good storage.

warholic
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #16

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnamullins
I have three primary uses:

1) daily driver for me
2) tow/support vehicle for my track day car and trailer (1900lb car + 850lb trailer) with over-nighting
3) occasional camping and road-trips with the family

This is the current plan:

- manual penthouse with bed scheduled for install June 24th
- no 4x4 for now
- no propane, etc
- two more windows, tbd
- solar, tbd
- small refrigerator or cooler for drinks mostly
- small microwave & Coleman type stove
- sink & external shower head with fresh and grey tanks
- seating and sleeping for 4, layout tbd
- front and rear tow hitches already ordered
- multi-media head unit with GPS, remote, backup camera, external monitors already ordered

I plan to do most of the work myself, not just for the cost saving, but for the fun and education as well. As always, input and advice very welcome!
we are on a similar path for similar reasons. your lists above are very close to my frame of mind. with the exception of no intention of dd'ing mine, a race car hauler and camping rig are our top priorities. your plan for the interior looks like my list too, but we are waiting to do anything serious inside till we get our top on. we wanna live in it first, then decide exactly what we need from there. good luck with your build, ill be watching your thread for sure.

and love the elise, with 350hp, ill bet it gets with the program. still havent been able to con any of the local owners into letting me drive thiers yet, lol. i worked at a shop where we turboed one, but i never got a chance to really drive it. theres another thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10892) for those of us into the motorsports. id love to see some info on the elise
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie

we are on a similar path for similar reasons. your lists above are very close to my frame of mind. with the exception of no intention of dd'ing mine, a race car hauler and camping rig are our top priorities. your plan for the interior looks like my list too, but we are waiting to do anything serious inside till we get our top on. we wanna live in it first, then decide exactly what we need from there. good luck with your build, ill be watching your thread for sure.

and love the elise, with 350hp, ill bet it gets with the program. still havent been able to con any of the local owners into letting me drive thiers yet, lol. i worked at a shop where we turboed one, but i never got a chance to really drive it. theres another thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10892) for those of us into the motorsports. id love to see some info on the elise
Thanks! I will post some photos of the Elise on the other thread.

My current struggle is how to do a data analysis desk for track days that can convert to a sofa/bed/table, etc. It would be great to have a proper desk to download video and telematics data between runs, but it also needs to be functional for seating and sleeping...haven't figured that out yet!
2006 Porsche Carrera S
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #18

So traded some of the cargo van components for install of this pass van seat to provide interim safety for the family.

Need to get rid of these running boards too. Anyone interested? Any ideas where I can unload them?

2006 Porsche Carrera S
Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #19
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Definitely a nice score on the base van---congrats on that! Looking forward to following your process---already a few great pre-wiring ideas floated around. That's cheap as an upfront cost, save a world of aggravation down the road if its ever needed. I'd suggest designing in some sort of PVC piping wire chases, installed in the walls front-to-rear with recessed access boxes should that ever been needed.

I am highly curious about the vertical wall stays with horizontal hardwood protection----any idea who makes that system? I've seen it in U-Haul, Penske and similar rental vans---never can determine where to get it for myself.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I am highly curious about the vertical wall stays with horizontal hardwood protection----any idea who makes that system? I've seen it in U-Haul, Penske and similar rental vans---never can determine where to get it for myself.
Don't know who makes them, but I will be taking these out, so available. PM me if you are interested.
2006 Porsche Carrera S