Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #91
Member
 
wanderers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 50
We get a lot of moisture inside our van just from breathing in cool weather, but I agree it doesn't take much insulation to stop the flow of ions.
__________________

wanderers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
rockbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 798
Back to the location of the actual top (fore/aft), I think you'll want to put the top on the roof to see how it fits along the gutter line. I don't recall if the EB roofline continues to taper slightly from where an RB would stop, but the actual gutterline and top widths may play a large role in where the top sits.
__________________

__________________
Josh
2009 Express AWD, CCV Top & 50-ish home build. Daily driver/camper/kid hauler
rockbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #93
Member
 
michal740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Albuquerque,NM
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender View Post
Back to the location of the actual top (fore/aft), I think you'll want to put the top on the roof to see how it fits along the gutter line. I don't recall if the EB roofline continues to taper slightly from where an RB would stop, but the actual gutterline and top widths may play a large role in where the top sits.
I plant to do this before cutting. I have a forklift at work,so this will absolutely be something i will check. I know the rear is exactly the same on both EB or RB.
I also checked the curvature of the front of the top and compared to curvature of the section where it will be resting on. That looks spot on as well.
__________________
2001 E350,Denver fleet 4x4,5.4V8
michal740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #94
Member
 
michal740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Albuquerque,NM
Posts: 45
Top prewired today. Used 7 pin trailer coiled cable to keep all tucked away when the top is in down position.
I got some pass thru caps for a subwoofer box and used one on the top. Will do the same on the van end.
Attached Thumbnails
20181209_121409.jpg   20181209_133906.jpg   Screenshot_2018-10-17-17-27-43.jpg  
__________________
2001 E350,Denver fleet 4x4,5.4V8
michal740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #95
Senior Member
 
boywonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal740 View Post
Top prewired today. Used 7 pin trailer coiled cable to keep all tucked away when the top is in down position.
I got some pass thru caps for a subwoofer box and used one on the top. Will do the same on the van end.

Brilliant idea on the stretchy cord and the speaker cup! If you want to run solar on the roof you'll likely need larger conductors.


As far as the 1/4" ply furring strips to hold the canvas to the roof...mine look like new and they are at least 15 years old..and zero leaks too....so I wouldn't sweat this too much. ..Although polyethylene strips or similar would work fine......they have a large coeeff of expansion though.
__________________
2008 E350 RB passenger 4WD SMB penthouse
2013 KTM 350 EXC
2008 KTM 250 XCF-W
2000 KTM 200 EXC
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #96
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 8,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Brilliant idea on the stretchy cord and the speaker cup! If you want to run solar on the roof you'll likely need larger conductors.
Absolutely! I might like to borrow that.
__________________
Currently vanless. Weird.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #97
Member
 
michal740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Albuquerque,NM
Posts: 45
After nerve wrecking cutting top of my van part,I got the top installed today. Big thanks to my girlfriend who helped tremendously during the process and installation.
Still have the latches to install,secure bottom part of canvas and button up the interior to do,but the biggest challenge is finally over.
Time for a beer!!
Attached Thumbnails
20181215_114431.jpg   20181215_121952.jpg   20181215_144702.jpg   20181215_152937.jpg   20181215_160008.jpg  

__________________
2001 E350,Denver fleet 4x4,5.4V8
michal740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,634
Looks good!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 857
Garage
Certainly not the type of project I have the confidence to ever undertake, you did great! Congrats.
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #100
Site Team
 
BroncoHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern New Mexico
Posts: 8,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal740 View Post
After nerve wrecking cutting top of my van part,I got the top installed today. Big thanks to my girlfriend who helped tremendously during the process and installation.
Still have the latches to install,secure bottom part of canvas and button up the interior to do,but the biggest challenge is finally over.
Time for a beer!!

Some major garage envy going on here.




Herb
__________________

__________________
SMB-less as of 02/04/2012. Our savings account is richer, but our adventures are poorer.
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.