Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

Smile Penthouse resurrection

I got the penthouse in a very bad shape that I am going to try to reuse. It came from a wrecked SMB and then it looks like it layed in a swamp for few years
Finally stripped it down and started fixing the cracked fiberglass. The whole side is delaminating from the support plywood. I am using a good corner to cast a mold to use on the corner that is severly damaged.
Using expanding foam on layer of "True glide" lubricant to act as a mold release.
Attached Thumbnails
20181011_164110.jpg   20181011_212656.jpg   20181011_212641.jpg   20181012_192624.jpg   20181012_195402.jpg  

20181012_185021.jpg  

michal740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #2

Not to be a downer, but I’d be worried that the internal wood strip stiffeners might all be rotted if there are cracks on the fiberglass. How’s that look?

Sorry it’s in such bad shape for you :-( Did the seller misrepresent or did you kind of expect this?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #3

The one part of wood I have exposed in the corner looks ok. I am gonna expose more as I need to repair the crack.
As for the penthouse itself. I expected and was told that it was in need of repair,but in good shape otherwise.
Clearly not the case here.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #4

You are a braver man than I. I hope you didn't give more than a couple hundred for that. You can get an entire new canvas from SMB North shipped for less than $1k.

I'd like to see the cracks you mean. If you mean very shallow cracks all throughout the surface of the top these are easily dealt with. Just Raptor line the whole thing after you address anything that looks like a deep crack that might spread. Fiberglass repair is kind of fun but......

How does the rest of the structure look (Springs, bars bent?, etc)?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
You are a braver man than I. I hope you didn't give more than a couple hundred for that. You can get an entire new canvas from SMB North shipped for less than $1k.

I'd like to see the cracks you mean. If you mean very shallow cracks all throughout the surface of the top these are easily dealt with. Just Raptor line the whole thing after you address anything that looks like a deep crack that might spread. Fiberglass repair is kind of fun but......

How does the rest of the structure look (Springs, bars bent?, etc)?
The rest is shot. I will have to make my own lifting mechanism. Gonna have to contact SNB north as you mentioned. I didn't know they offer canvas without installation. SMB east does not.
I will post more pictures today.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

Wait a second. None of the Sportsmobile locations offer canvas with insulation. Are you thinking of Colorado Camper Van? Also, there is no Sportsmobile East. There is Texas, West (Fresno CA) and North (Indiana). Indiana will make and sell you a canvas.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

My bad,sorry,East for me would be Texas. I emailed Indiana and hopefully can source the canvas from them.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #8

Got the fiberglass layed down in several layers,so hopefully it will keep it's shape once tension is released by the straps.
Attached Thumbnails
20181013_124532.jpg   20181013_151546.jpg   20181013_151600.jpg  
Old 10-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #9

I am on the crossroads with this. Got the fiberglass fixed for most part and pretty much ready to Raptor line it,but looking at the rest of the stuff,I just want to quit and call it a huge loss. One of the resting rails is bent and show signs of other damage. Lifting arms are complete trash. I may be able to have canvas redone by a upholstery shop,but it is gonna add another $$$$
I feel totally burned by the dude who misinterpreted the condition and sold it. I feel kinda stupid just for paying for this.
Should I go ahead or just toss it? Any input,or possible confidence inspiring toughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #10

Hey man - been there. If you do salvage it and get it usable - will that be a desirable outcome or will it still be so jacked that it would be a constant reminder of a sham?

We all get these lessons. It's useful to put a name on it - in this case - it's a sunk cost. Meaning it doesn't change whether you continue or not. So the question that remains is - do you want to throw good money after bad?

Another way to look at it:

I will spend 30-40 hours working to fix this thing. If instead of fixing it, I drive Uber or paint houses or work as a handyman for people for 30-40 hours, accumulate that money for the sole purpose of getting a van where I want it - what is the better use of time?

Hard lessons - but the strength you can get from making a decision and owning it will eventually outweigh the tainted transaction.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote