Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #11

Re: The Ultimate And Affordable RV Heating System

I too am on a quest to find the ability to warm a "cold" coastal Southern California winter night (worst case, 30 degrees) in my van to somewhere in the 50 ish degree range throughout the night. I've investigated the electric option and it might work, but the battery draw seems like it might be a little heavy. Has anyone heard of a under the floor propane furnace that would operate like an old house floor furnace? No fan but would operate on the old principle that heat rises?

Any thoughts at all appreciated.

RlnStn949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RlnStn949
I too am on a quest to find the ability to warm a "cold" coastal Southern California winter night (worst case, 30 degrees) in my van to somewhere in the 50 ish degree range throughout the night. I've investigated the electric option and it might work, but the battery draw seems like it might be a little heavy. Has anyone heard of a under the floor propane furnace that would operate like an old house floor furnace? No fan but would operate on the old principle that heat rises?

Any thoughts at all appreciated.
No but my dad's old truck camper had a gravity ciculation propane heater INSIDE the camper. Same idea. Currently there are catalytic heaters available that should do what you want (mounted inside).
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Site Team

RETROFITTING AN RV WITH A HOT-WATER HEATING SYSTEM by Jim Phypers

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #14

Hi;

I think one option has been missed here.

Stelrad makes hot water radiators for interior home heating that use 140 degree input water and simple convection to distribute the heat. They are the modern version of the old cast iron rads and are made of painted sheet metal.

This type of system would require only a pump to run.

Higher input temperature models, around 180 degrees, are even slimmer. I'm unsure how hot a propane water heater runs.

PEX piping would make it simple to hook up.

No fan required just some space for the radiator. You could even use a heat exchanger to pull the last bit of heat out of the engine before switching to the propane heat. Or have the propane heater use engine heat to keep it topped up in temperature while the engine is running.

The inlet valve can be replaced with a unit that thermostatically holds the temperature. And it's completely mechanical in operation.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #15

I have seen the catalytic heaters, but I'm afraid of the dangers of using it in a enclosed space.
I'm not really sure what the dangers are, are there excessive CO2 and CO emissions. I don't want to find out the hard way

I investigated the possibilities of running a 300 ish watt 12V heater in concert with two or three deep cycle batteries with a battery separator and a solar panel. I called one of the online supply houses and the tech didn't think it would work. Nightly power draw too much to easily replentish for the next night's use . Walmart has some deep cycle batteries that get good reviews as trolling motor batteries. Like 85 bucks each. I guess it's still an alternative.

The water based system seems like a great alternative. Need to pin down a small propane water heater, a low draw circulation pump... looks like the radiator has been identified. All the piping and wiring needs are at Home Depot or Lowes.

Lastly, there is an electric blanket that draws 5 or 6 amps.

Sidenote: I saw an article where Sly, now 68, of Sly and the Family Stone fame, is living in an old Dodge based Pleasure-Way Excel up in South LA. Says he loves doing the full time thing. I just had to listen to "Stand" on You Tube just now.

Thanks for your ideas and discussion. Tom
Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Lastly, there is an electric blanket that draws 5 or 6 amps.
To keep warm at night, nothing beats a good down comforter. We've been in the 'teens (inside) and comfy in ours. And, we can reach the thermostat for the propane furnace before we get up in the cold.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #17

Hi;

The Stelrads are going to be large and pricey so I have now reconsidered the need for maximum hide-ability for a compact installation like a Sporty.

Instead of a large flat object how about a fin tube like:

http://www.slantfin.com/index.php/produ ... e-elements

The heat output is predictable by pipe diameter, length, and input temperature. They can be cut to whatever size and they are cheap.

All we need now is a heat loss calculation and a way to hide the fin tubes around the van.

They do have a compact kick space unit, but of course it needs an electric fan to blow the resultant heated air around. I like convection for lack of moving parts. The mechanical thermostat idea from the Stelrads can still be used with the fin tubes.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm not really sure what the dangers are, are there excessive CO2 and CO emissions.
That and straight up fire... the line of Mr. Buddy has CO and tip sensors, but you're still burning an open flame inside.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #19

Gavin - This might be kinda Mickey Mouse, but, how about heater core or a small radiator with a 12V fan behind it? The Stelrads are pricey. I also spotted a small furnace made by Atwood, Everest Star. 8" tall 11" wide and 20" propane, products of combustion vents to outside. 2-3 amp draw from the fan motor. Thermostat about $50 extra. About $600 for the furnace.

Yeah, not doin' the catalytic heater in this lifetime. Making a mistake on this one is not an option.

I did the comforter last winter, actually two sleeping bags. Getting out was really tough. Still need the furnace.

Thanks for the ideas and comments. There has to be a inexpensive and safe way to get our vans heated.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #20

Quote:
There has to be a inexpensive and safe way to get our vans heated.
You mean besides waiting for summer?

Seriously, if there was an effective and inexpensive solution it would be in widespread use. There is a reason everyone pays several hundred dollars for a furnace.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote