Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Transit DIY Build - Base Suggestions

So long story short. Wife wants her own van......LOL.

Loves my E350, but we kind of need a bathroom......well we gotta have a bathroom. And heck, I'd do another build.

We have ruled out Sprinter for a couple reasons. Don't need to go into that too much but I don't think 4x4 will come up on this rig and we want something easily fixed and can be serviced locally. I know we are in for a high roof long wheel base. Not sure if we are gonna go for the full extra long yet, depends on how the layout goes.

Might go full on brand new base. I would have to custom order a cargo if i went that route. If not I may have to go for a used passenger to get the options i need like rear AC. 3.5l is also a must.

Any insight into these vans is appreciated. It will receive the the benefit off all my mistakes on the Econoline. But they were happy mistakes. LOL.

Also, if anyone has accurate CAD drawings on the interior it would help me out a lot. I gotta stuff a lot of goodies in there and will go full on 3d model.

Thanks and happy van-lifing.

Oh and PS, I am not selling my E350. No way, this is a second van for the family. LOL

Old 10-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #2

Contact Crewvanman on the transit forum for ordering. He's the best resource for transit ordering and options, build times,
Current nationwide inventory (works for Matt Ford near the factory).

I can get you his contact info if you dont want to dig through another forum.

Feel free to contact me directly too... ive been gathering a ton of experience with all things Transit.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #3

Thank You MG. I will keep reading up and may PM you a couple quick questions. I will definitely read up on the Transit forum as well.

My wife started looking at vanlife posts and wants to build her own so to speak. Well she wants something a little more friendly to her needs and hey, I am all about it. Our commute is a couple miles so hell, why not another van??

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #4

I did build and price on a cargo with windows and all the RV prep goodies, and it comes out just as expensive as the wagon, with still less content.

If you have the patience to disassemble a wagon as needed, it's a better deal. Also, there's way more wagons with the EcoBoost vs cargos.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #5

There are advantages to the wagons but the biggest disadvantage is what to do with the side curtain airbags. You either leave them in and do nothing with the (space robbing) headliner or take them out and lose the protection over the driver and passenger. The air bags run from the base of the A pillar all the way back.

I removed mine and blew them up in a hugely entertaining fashion for the kids to watch.... we're running around with only the front airbags though. Not everyone is comfortable with that.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #6

Well there's the first piece of info that I had no clue about. The airbags. I definitely intend to build in full height cabinets in the back and they would have to negotiate that "hump". I did see the hump in the wagon pictures. But I absolutely marveled at the empty and straightish walls of the high roof cargo. and oh man, the cavities in the walls are amazing.

I imagine that if I put in floor to ceiling cabinets that form fitted around the airbags that it might render them useless if they deployed. Or they would blow the cabinets right off the walls.

Hmmmmmmm.

And yes, carringb, I kind of had that issue with my E-Series. Had I bought a wagon and not a cargo I would have had a lot more features that I ended up struggling to replace or it cost me more money in the end. I definitely NEED the rear AC, I live in the desert and it's non-negotiable.

I wish they did a "CREW" model. that would be absolutely perfect. I also have no qualms about starting with a cargo and adding the CRL vented windows etc. I would also like to have the front well appointed. Leather trimmed heated seats are pretty nice. Wife has a funny back and that would help her a lot.

As an aside, it seems like some folks are disappointed in the MPG's from these vans.

The plan right now is to put a second row folding bed and a drop down loft bed above it. This preserves the rear for fixed cabinets (bathroom) and a kitchenette type of thing. My E series is pretty no frills but that's me. We may put a 120V water heater in as well, but a shower without a doubt and maybe a sink. Once again I will get in over my head, LOL.

I am guessing we end up with the Extra Long High Roof. But If I can lay it out in a satisfactory manner I will simply get the long wheel base.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post

I imagine that if I put in floor to ceiling cabinets that form fitted around the airbags that it might render them useless if they deployed. Or they would blow the cabinets right off the walls.
One of the curtain airbags we popped had a 35"+ (HEAVY) tractor tire/wheel sitting on top of it... 3...2...1... BOOM! tractor tire/wheel 15ft into the air, blew the tire bead off of one side of the wheel too.

I imagine an air bag would blow your cabinet to bits.

If I were to build another van, I'd go cargo. Mostly because I have a ton of extra stuff that came off of our passenger van that is essentially worthless, not easily recycled and takes up way too much space...
Old 10-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #8

That settles it pretty much right there. Cargo.

LOL. You found good use for those airbags. You got video?

I did the Build and Price on the cargo with all the trimmings, Just shy of 50k. There was some ambulance prep thing in there that allowed me the 4.10 axle. I would lean toward that ratio in lieu of maybe lifting it later and putting bigger tires on.....also better acceleration from stop, good for merging with traffic etc and negotiating big passes.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
I wish they did a "CREW" model. that would be absolutely perfect.

As an aside, it seems like some folks are disappointed in the MPG's from these vans.
New for 2019 is a factory crew van option. However, it's called a "seat delete" option so I don't know what that does for the airbag configuration.

I haven't seen too many complaints about fuel economy. But beware it's Eco -OR- boost, not both at the same time. It's makes a lot of power without much fuss, so it's hard not to use all that torque. And once you add a trailer, it'll slurp fuel at close to the same rate as the V10 (which is appropriate since they make the same power).
Old 10-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
LOL. You found good use for those airbags. You got video?

I did the Build and Price on the cargo with all the trimmings, Just shy of 50k. There was some ambulance prep thing in there that allowed me the 4.10 axle. I would lean toward that ratio in lieu of maybe lifting it later and putting bigger tires on.....also better acceleration from stop, good for merging with traffic etc and negotiating big passes.
I have a video...but since my 75 year old dad was at the camera, he included some things in the video that I probably don't want on youtube. It goes like this, use your imagination...beer can, young kids, countdown, explosion, laughter, old guy with colorful language, more beer can footage.

Definitely get in touch with Ed (crewvanman) if you're ordering. He's been a huge help for us and we've sent many customers to him.