Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #11

Re: Be honest - diesel engine noise versus gas engine

What? My ears are ringing! Can you shut that thing off in the drive through?

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #12

CellularSteve and I traded vans for a bit on the Moab Rally and I couldn't believe how quiet his was.... I have the Diesel of course. Inside and out I couldn't tell it was running. I don't play music but I'd be more inclined to with a v10.

In mine (and the F250) I've gotten everything from dirty looks to people coming and asking me to turn it off instead of idling in the campground. Honestly I feel guilty letting it idle because it sounds like a truckstop. I've seen enough wildlife on the trail, but who knows what I'm missing because of the noise?

Ah well, I love it because it's a diesel but I'd be as inclined to go for a v10 next time around.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #13

When the 92 van was introduced with this body style it could be ordered with a straight 6.

The same body with the power stroke is a gear head dream. Money no object: diesel.

The 5R110 transmission matched with the diesel (and V10) is awesome. Crawling over obstacles, the most common way to negotiate in a 8000 pound van, is best done by the diesel. The V10 is very very capable too, and I can hear the birds at the same time with the V10.

Maintenance with the V10 is a no brainer. A very solidly engineered motor from day one. No history of problems. The V10 spark plus issue is well behind us all.

You can't judge by noise alone.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #14

This is my third Ford van but my first Sportsmobile and first diesel.

At idle, the diesel IS louder. Going slow, they will hear you coming a long way off.

At highway speed, the wind noise is louder than the engine so it doesn't matter.

So it just depends on what's important to YOU.

I'd buy another diesel in a second...
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 AM   #15

love these responses .......... exactly what I hoped for and expected - honest and humor to boot!!
Not gonna bore you all with the other well known pros/cons - I want only input on your thoughts about diesel noise - is it or isn't it and why. I got some very good info so far which will help me decide.......... soon! cuz' i need to get out on the open road.
thx
warholic
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #16

We have the V10 gas and are very pleased with it. More torque before a downshift going uphill would be nice, but the lack of noise in campgrounds, etc. is very nice. Sometimes we start the motor on a cold morning to warm things up and recharge the batteries, and it doesn't wake the entire campground.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

I wanted the diesel for towing purposes and was a bit dismayed by the noise after having two previous vans with gas engines. The interior noise of the stock van was unacceptable in my opinion. So loud it was difficult to carry on a conversation with passengers while going down the road. The heat emanating from the doghouse (engine cover) and the van floor over the transmission was enough to cook your feet and make the dog want to move, respectively.

The fix is a lot of high quality sound and heat insulation. I tore the front half of our brand new interior apart and covered every available surface including three layers inside the doghouse. Results were dramatic and the once hot and noisy beast is now very quiet on the freeway. Not as quiet as a gas engine, but the family can talk again, I can drive barefoot, and the dog isn't cooking between the seats.

Using biodiesel or a lubricating fuel additive will also help noticeably to reduce engine noise at idle. Even the kids could tell when I run B20 instead of regular diesel. The exhaust smell while running B100 will make you crave fast food.....

After two years with the diesel if I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the V-10 and save the $5K.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #18

Location: Rolling Hills, Mammoth Mountain, Coeur d Alene Idaho

I owned a Winnebago with the V-10 and put 27000 quiet troublefree miles on it and if the right van had been available (XLT) I would've jumped on it with the V-10.
I also still own the first 6.0 PSD in an 2003 F250 which has over 100000 miles but had been towed in 3 times early on with turbo issues etc which may have had something to do with operator error.
So far I'm happy to have the diesel nothing beats that sound when you first fire it up and on the road you don't notice it. We listen to a lot of music and a simple speaker upgrade, small sub woofer and new head unit produces great sound.
The 6.0 get's far superior mileage to the V-10 and since I tow a lot this is particularly important. The Dynamatted dog house works excellent keeping the front nice and cool (just got back from 5 days in the 115+ degree colorado river and at no time did it feel hot).
I have been fastidious on the maintenance and so far so good but we do have a check engine light on at the moment and I'm sure it's because I left the inverter on for a couple days and ran the batteries down just enough to need a quick jump so my bad on that one. I thought my Scan Gauge would take the light off but i guess not so reluctantly it's off to the dealer soon for the first visit in 16000 miles unless someone has a better idea.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #19

V-10 by far.. A lot less weight, faster, quiet, 6000.00 less...Its a no brainer for me.

Next time its a v-10 for me..

Jeff
Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #20

Jeff, I'm suprised you didn't mention the HEAT!

Incidentially the Scangauge you sent me ranges about 7º around 195ºF seemingly no matter what I'm doing. I need to get it sent in for trans temps, but I'm guessing my van doesn't have anywhere near the heat issues yours has.