Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #1

Full floater swap - tone ring issue

Hi All,

After finishing a swap of a 2008 Dana 60 full floater into my 2009 with RSC, I've run into a problem. All the reading I did told me that 2008 was the ideal candidate - full floater will still offered, RSC was available, and it was the first year with the bigger brakes like I already have and this thread seemed to confirm it. I knew that the 2008 rear had a tone ring with 60 teeth in the hub and that my 2009 had 60 teeth on the front. I ASSumed that the 2009 rear was also 60 tooth, but after swapping, test driving, and getting the traction control kicking in, I counted and found that the stock 2009 ring is 54 tooth.

I think I have three options, none of which I'm certain will work:

1) get the ABS module reprogrammed to accept the 60 tooth signal from the new axle using an Autoenginuity scan tool or maybe the dealer.

2) get hubs with no tone rings and have machined 54 tooth rings installed (I see these are made for Dana 60 swaps into Jeeps as 52 or 60 tooth so it should just mean getting a 54t made and the hub machined).

3) use a converter such as SpeedoDRD as a frequency divider to convert the signals from each rear wheel sensor to what the ABS controller is expecting. My worry here is that doing this would cause the ABS to fail the self-test.

Has anyone successfully completed a similar swap? Or can anyone tell me how many teeth a stock 2009+ full floater has on it's wheel hub? My internet searching turns up the same hub I'm using as fitting 2009+ which raises my hope of just getting the ABS computer reprogrammed to accept the new axle/wheel speed sensor input.

So frustratingly close to finishing this...

Rob

wingate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

I don't have RSC, but most posts I've read dealing with problems converting rear axles required the signal converter. You might benefit from asking on other forums in addition to here to get a collaboration of info on this. Hope there's a fairly straightforward solution in your future.
VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #3

You might give Agile Offroad a call. They may be able to help as they swap all sorts of things, including full-floaters.

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions, Agile may be a good resource for this. I did contact the makers of SpeedoDRD and they say that their converter won't work between the wheel speed sensor and ABS controller. My current plan is to modify the 54 tooth ring to fit on to the full floater hub in place of the 60 tooth ring. I've cut the 54T off of the semi-float shaft and will drop it and a hub off at the machine shop to get it fitted.

I'll post up how this works, or if I get any better advice from Agile, in hopes of saving someone else the headache down the road.

Rob
Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #5

Wingate what did you end up doing? Did you put on 54 tooth tone rings?How did it work?
Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #6

Sorry I haven't updated this. In the end, I removed the 54t rings from the semifloater shafts and had them parted to the correct width and the ID opened up to fit over the FF hub in place of the stock 60t ring. It worked! The speedo works and no more traction control kicking in during a 7000mi test drive on our summer vacation.

I found that the SRW Motorcraft FF hubs come in too different styles: HUB-142 with a 60t tone ring, and HUB-143 without a tone ring. The machined OD where the tone ring sits is the same, the only difference is the addition of the tone ring on HUB-142.

I hope this helps someone with the swap. It was a relief to get this squared away a week before we left for Utah.

Thanks,
Robert