Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #31

How Low Can You Go?

I ran outta fuel at 1/8 mark with low light just coming on for a few miles.

I was told I have a transfer flow 42 gal tank. Each time I fill it seems to cap off at around 36 gal. On my next fill gonna slow pump it to see if that makes a difference.

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage
Re: How Low Can You Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Screw that low fuel light. Hell I don't want to suck from the pit anyway. I'd like it to come on just above a 1/4 tank...That would mean something to me or my Espar stuff at least
The checklist that SMB provided me says "D-5 System - Be sure fuel is above 1/8 tank". Maybe the criteria changed?
Yes I think so. There has been a lot of complaints about the 1/4 set. My problem is around town when I let my tank drop to a 1/4 (which is really not 1/4 more like 1/3) and I loose the prime. Don't let it do that! When I go into the back country I don't go in low on fuel! I've always wondered if the 1/4 rule is about fuel movement and/or sucking up something bad sitting in the bottom. I don't run it on the move but I will say if my gauge says 1/4 I won't try to start the Espar stuff. Been there & done that

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #33

As a result of this thread I decided to take the "LOW" challenge, up to a safe point at least. I was about a quarter tank when this all started so I've been driving it to work which I normally don't do because of the 12 mpg (in town). But inquiring minds want to know. I usually fill it up at 1/2 empty because the pump maxes out @ $75. Anyway my low light came on today at about 1/16 on the gauge. I have about 460 miles on my last fill up which had no topping off. My Scan Gauge thinks I have about 100 miles and 7.5 gallons left but I have it programmed as a 42 gal tank and have used 34.5. Anyway tomorrow I'll fill it up (diesel just went down to below $4 / gal... YEA!) and will note where it clicks off and then take that 5 or 6 extra minutes to fill it up to the tube. One thing I've noticed is the non-linearity of the gauge. After 3/8 of a tank it drops really fast. I'll post my final $140+ report tomorrow.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #34

So it's a $150 report, my corner station stops the pump at $75. A recap; my light came on at a smidgen below 1/16th of a tank and I drove about 5 miles before filling it. It clicked off the first time at 34.6 gallons and I put an additional 3.0 gallons in it. Interesting enough the Scan Gauge is in agreement with the way I normally calibrate it to the first shut off. The last gallon was click and foam, click and foam so I didn't feel like starting another charge slip for a few gallons maybe. So a 37.6 gallons total in supposedly a 46 gallon tank. I doubt I will explore what true safety factor remains since that intermittent Low Fuel buzzer is very annoying.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #35
Site Team

Garage

Did you loose power? So it has an alarm too?

Thanks Pat. Me no want to do this go low thing

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #36

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
I ran outta fuel at 1/8 mark with low light just coming on for a few miles.

I was told I have a transfer flow 42 gal tank. Each time I fill it seems to cap off at around 36 gal. On my next fill gonna slow pump it to see if that makes a difference.
im assuming my setup is the same. a 42g tank and i havent been able to get more than 38g's in it. last time at the pump cause fuel was actually less than 4 bucks a gallon, i pump/clicked 3 extra gallons into the tank. took forever though.

not that i have a ton of time with the van yet, but im typically getting around 100 miles before the guage goes down to the full mark. then another 100-120 or so before half tank, another 100ish before reaching the 1/4 tank and the 2-3 times ive taken all the way to empty i got around 100 miles as well. just reached a 1/4 tank last night with mostly in town driving and have just over 300 miles. ill wait till the light comes on again and report back. it will likley be all city driving.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Did you loose power? So it has an alarm too?

Thanks Pat. Me no want to do this go low thing
I've never experienced that "cutting out" mentioned by the others. I know I've driven 30 miles on the light before with no noticed effects.