Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

IPD rear sway bar install, junkyard find

Here are the tools that you will need for this install:

13mm, 19mm, tools from jack area, large(very) channel locks, scribing tool to mark frame

I cruise the yards every so often when I have time, and I always make a point to look at the axles of the vans that I find. So I was looking through the yards, looking for some interior parts and just generally viewing what was to be had when I stumbled upon a van with a Viper Club of America sticker on the back. I peeked under the rear end, and wow!, an IPD sway bar.

For those that don't know IPD, they used to do a lot of vehicles, and would custom make sway bars for your project. Back when my friend and I did more construction work, we had a few trucks outfitted with custom setups from them and we were always happy with the outcome. Fast forward to today, and IPD is back to their roots, only selling suspension parts for Volvo vehicles.

FYI they have directed all customers who are interested in products for non-volvo vehicles to use Roadmaster who are out of Vancouver WA. While they didn't have this exact bar, they do make some bars that are similar that fit our vans as well as a host of other suspension upgrades.

So back to the van that I found. It was a 95 if I recall correctly, E350 EB with a full float rear axle. My van is a 2000 E250 RB with a semi-float rear axle. The axle outside diameters are the same, and thus the u-bolts and mounting hardware will fit. This is for a 2WD setup, but would work for a 4WD setup depending on your application.

Here is the bar after I took it home and washed it up. The original finish and stickers were barely visible when it was on the van, but I recognized the IPD sticker right away.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipdjunkyard.JPG (131.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg tools1.JPG (172.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg photo 16.JPG (174.0 KB, 152 views)
hammerhome is offline   Reply With Quote