Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

Garage
Thinking about DP Tuner

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a DP tuner for my 7.3. Just wondering about people's experiences and which tunes they picked. I am thinking about high idle, 60 hp daily and 60 hp towing. Another question would be what other things you did along with the tuner. I have my CTS to monitor the engine and EGTs.

TexGX

2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #2

Garage
I would like to hear the comments as well. I am hoping to start waking up my 7.3 as well.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #3

I have 12 tunes from them for my 7.3. I know, too many.

I daily drive in the 80 eco tune, tow with the 60 tow. Use hi idle from time to time and the decel tune ocassionally. I recommend and EGT and trans temp gauge on all 7.3s, worth every penny.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks UJOINT. Which hi idle did you pick? I was thinking the 1300 rpm. I have EGT and Trans temp gauges. I found Ricks review and that seems close to what he did.

TexGX
Old 04-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #5

It's definitely worth it. I didn't expect such a change but running mine on the 80 hp daily feels like I'm driving a gas van (or car) instead of a diesel, huge difference. Only recommendation is figure out if you have an aftermarket torque converter. My tranny was rebuilt and I guess they installed a heavy duty torque converter and it affects the shift points. I'll likely send my DP back to be adjusted but wish I had known before hand. It will cost me an extra $75 for the adjustment and the trouble to remove it, shipping time...etc

Absolutely no regrets!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGX View Post
Thanks UJOINT. Which hi idle did you pick? I was thinking the 1300 rpm. I have EGT and Trans temp gauges. I found Ricks review and that seems close to what he did.

TexGX
Mine is at 1100. 1300 is a little high.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks for the info. I will order soon.

TexGX
Old 05-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Thinking about DP Tuner

As a reference here....
3" exhaust, EGT/Boost gauges, all other functions monitored by scanguage: RPM, trans temp, oil temp
80 daily
60 mountain
60 tow
Decel
High idle 1200
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #9

I know I'm probably the only single person who didn't like DP tuner... So I went with 5 Star Tuning. A few years back they did the tunes on my V10 and I was ecstatic. Now they have done their magic again on my 7.3 and would happily recommend it to anybody. I have 3 Tunes , 80hp, 60hp and stock motor w/ trans.
It's great on either one and I'm able to get over 22 miles per gallon on the highway.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #10

Hey Waymon,

Installed a DP Tuner a few months ago on our bone stock intake/exhaust 2002 7.3. I chose 80 daily / 60 mountain / 1200 high idle / plus stock and no start. I do not tow, and we probably weigh out loaded around 9500 lbs. Agile 4wd, gearing is 3.73, tires 285/70-17 KO2's

The install was pretty easy EXCEPT my tuner did not have good connection with the contacts on the Control Module circuit board. I had cleaned them properly and everything was per instructions. I had to send the whole ECU and tuner back to Jody. He re tinned the ECU contacts and made sure it all worked together. Extra $100 before it was all said and done for retinning and postage back and forth.

Certainly give the self install a shot. Use the acetone to soften the rubbery silicone gel and scrap it off the contacts on both sides with your finger nail or soft wood or plastic scraper. This will help protect the thin tin/copper contact where the tuner needs to make connection. It has to be clean. If there is no "Wait to Start" light on your dash, then you do not have tuner connection and the engine will not start. Try re cleaning but if two or three cleanings do not get it to start, you should just send the ECU in to Jody and have him re tin.

I became an expert at removing and installing the ECU ��. Btw - the ECU code was also in a driver door frame sticker, but better to pull the ECU and get the code just in case.

Re: Tune Selection -
High idle 1200: that is max and I think 1100 would be sufficient. Do a test and see if your engine likes one over the other. I would choose 1100 if I had to do over.

60 mountain - I don't use it, would not get it again. Holds rpm longer before shifting going up hill, downshifts when going down hill.

80 daily - peppy for sure but almost too much so for me. I have to add an EGT gauge to know for sure but I find it unnerving not knowing EGT. It will blow black smoke when I get on it, shifts can be a bit later than expected, couple of rpm spots it seems to slightly fluctuate/ not steady. I have played with this tune the most. On the easy flat freeway stuff it is pretty nice, but I shift back to Stock if I am going uphill. Again, once I have an EGT gauge I may have more peace of mind. I feel a 40 daily and 60 daily is sufficient and what I would choose if doing it again. I would probably set that mode (especially 40 daily) and forget about it while enjoying the bit of wake up it provides.

w/ ScanGauge - the tuner will mess with the readings big time. Rpm/EOT are fine, but mpg, MAP, Boost, etc. - no way they are right.

Mileage - I have to question any increase in fuel mileage with a daily tune over what was being experienced before the tuner was added. If the results are hand calculated, then that is what it is. But if using the ScanGauge, no way. Also, not sure how one can get better mileage buy dumping more fuel into the cylinder at a given rpm. It takes more fuel to make more power in a given engine with no other mods to intake or exhaust. I have not seen any better fuel mileage, nor any worse really.

If anyone has EGT info on the 80 daily going uphill, I would appreciate you sharing it. It would be helpful for me to compare to what I get when I install my EGT and Boost gauges. Oh, and when talking boost - increase over ambient or total Manifold Air pressure??