Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2023, 08:06 AM   #11

If you're going 4x4, and thinking of adding a locker or limited slip - you can probably find a sterling with a locker for less than, or close to, the price of adding it to your existing semi float axle. I think my sterling was $700, and has the factory e-locker. Win win.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:44 AM   #12

The Sterling suggestions above are the path I would take unless you really want to spend money.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:43 AM   #13

Just to add more noise to the conversation, I have a 2WD fully loaded E250 and have a factory LSD in the rear. It's worked pretty solid. There has been one occasion (bogged in mud with one tire spinning freely due to zero traction) when it took a brief bit of effort to get the LSD to engage, but otherwise I really value the fact that it will kick on automatically without having to stop the van and think about it. Lots of snow and gravel road driving.
Santa Cruz, CA
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:53 PM   #14

As an addendum to this discussion, don't forget about disabling the TCS system if you get stuck, etc. One short push of the button temporarily PARTIALLY disables the system. Hold it down for 5+ seconds to fully disable the system. Otherwise it will cut power to your rear wheels (limited slip or not) and complicate getting unstuck. I wish I knew this on my 2011 before I got stuck in mud last fall and had to get yanked out by a Jeep (oh, the shame...). I'm sure if I correctly used the TCS button (5 second push) I would have gotten out myself.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:37 PM   #15

b.rock + bison - haha Even if I knew exactly what to look for and how to evaluate it's condition I would still need to have it installed. I didn't think you needed to swap the rear axle for 4x4? Just add a solid axle to the front, shorten the fuel tank, add transfer case and new driveshaft. This van only weighs 6800lbs not sure why I would need a bigger axle.

nyyankees - awesome to know. I would be happy with any improvement right now.

BrianW - Great tip on the TC button, thats good to know!
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post
I have read a few threads on here and watched a few YT videos about the difference but I have to say I am more confused now than when I started. I have heard some people say that in snow when LSD does get traction in patchy conditions (most local road/highway snow driving) it grabs and can "throw" the vehicle. They say that selectable locked is the best.

Then I have heard other people say the exact opposite. TrueTrack is amazing. But thats on a 4WD while snow wheeling.
Those statements don't actually disagree with each other.

The more locked up the diff is, the less likely you are to spin a wheel and loose traction, but the more one wheel will slip during cornering, which also breaks traction. Our selectable transfer case 4WD vans are already locked up front to back, and I'll actually shift out of 4WD when descending an icy hill to minimize my chances of slipping.

So, if your primary concern is to not get stuck, you want to be fully locked. If your primary concern is not slipping off the road as you're driving, you want to be fully open.

Both a selectable locker, and to some extent traction control will do that for you better than an LSD.

If snow is your primary concern, you may want to also consider winter tires. Unlike everything else, they will also help you stop. Obviously they do nothing for sand.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:05 PM   #17

Thanks MadScience that was a good explanation. I have BFG K02s which are the standard here in Bend. Even a lot of Subarus run them. The van actually drives pretty well in snow/ice. But if I am stopped and have to get moving again on any slope, it just spins. We have about 6" snow in town today and turning off TC was a big help.

I think the ARB sounds like it will do what I want and I planned to get the dual compressor for this van anyway.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:46 AM   #18

Garage
It’s probably been said already but just in case it hasn’t… You do NOT want to drive around in the snow/ice on paved streets with your rear differential locked with a locker. You’ll break traction on every turn you make.
Then there’s the fact that 4x4 with out lockers is still only 2 wheel drive. So IMO at least one axle needs a locker.
rizzabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 06:59 PM   #19

Thanks rizzabove yeah thats good to know. I guess it would be kind of like driving around in 4 low where it stutters any time you turn.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I think a great setup that you don’t have to think about, esp for driving in snow covered roads or slippery conditions, is some sort of limited slip in the rear and if 4X4, a locker up front.
I’m currently running a Truetrac in the rear with an open front, I may end up with a locker up front in the future, either ARB or OX for those use in case of emergency situations. My winch, recovery gear and maxtrax has done the job just fine up until now.
I also put a Truetrac in a 2WD Weldtec lifted van I’ve got.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote