Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #11

Re: 1995 RB30 - Replacement Brass Plumbing Fittings?

Glad to help. If you are in any hurry to use your van you might want to go ahead and invest in, or at least shop for, a crimper for PEX. I have no idea if there are different ones or if better deals may be found online, and I also don't know of another way to crimp PEX properly without the tool. It's probably a worthwhile Google hunt. Just keep in mind the Appolo (yellow handle) tool at Lowe's is very expensive, especially for doing one or two crimps one time. I bought mine in the middle of an Airstream renovation so it was easier to justify the $40/$50 expense. At least I think that's how much it was back then, maybe even more now.

EDIT: Just looked on Amazon. This is the tool I have and it looks like you can get it a little cheaper, but I still think someone could be creative and cinch a couple of these fasteners with other tools in a pinch..........no pun intended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IJ ... 7JGP09AK7Y

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

As you now know, your plumbing and fittings are PB. Both the pipes (tubes) and the "barbs" on the fittings are different than for PEX. (Even though the ring style crimps look the same.) There are PB to PEX adapters, etc. for when doing new plumbing and attaching. Too, there are various fittings for PEX that do not require crimpers (but are a bit bulkier). Shark Bite, etc. (Lowe's/HD have them). They are reusable as well. Fittings are bulkier but you don't have to fit the crimper tool in so there is that. Not that you will probably get into PEX now with this repair.

On the fitting in the tank. I can't say for sure how SMB put the elbow in, but the female fitting that is part of the tank? Go easy on that. Those are just spin welded in place and I have had them fail with very little pressure on them. I had a different problem on an RV with a similar fitting (only it would have been a HUGE hassle to remove the tank if I had ruined that spin weld), and I chose to carefully Dremel the pipe off of the elbow/barb and then put new material onto that, instead of disturbing the elbow. Luckily in your case the tank is probably removable without too much trouble if something does go awry.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #13

I've used PB to Pex, used both new Pex and reused old pb fittings, mixed and matched both fittings and pipes. It works, no leaks yet!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote