Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Looking for new/upgraded voltmeter

Herb, being able to monitor amps and volts is a nice option especially when troubleshooting. It's a bit difficult to correctly dial in the "battery fuel gauge" but it is useful. Even on the nice solar controllers, the voltmeters are not as accurate as the xantrex and some models even have a batt temp option. If you don't want to spend the big bucks look at something from the boating industry. There are several accurate digital voltmeter only models out there.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #22
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

I've entered the way-back machine and brought this thread back from an ancient SMB forum archived server, buried deep underground in a small town outside of Denver Colorado. I've been thinking about adding a battery monitor to my teardrop, and have been eyeballing the Xantrex Link monitors.

Currently, the trailer has a 12V battery and a shore power connection feeding the battery charger. I have no plans to install an inverter.

I do have plans to buy a Honda EU2000i which will provide worry free power, but only in certain locations where it's OK and/or necessary to run a generator (the driver being adding AC to the trailer). I might get a small, portable solar panel to keep the battery topped off when it's not being used at home, and possibly to replace at least part of the juice used by my fridge when I'm camped somewhere.

Now the big question. Do I get a nice solar controller that also provides some battery monitoring functionality, or get a dedicated battery monitor? The solar will not be a major aspect of my trailer, so I'm leaning towards a minimalistic solar controller (now or in the future), and I'm also leaning towards a dedicated battery monitor that will give me full knowledge of my power system.

Thoughts?

Herb
I'd get a dedicated battery monitor. I use my Link10 all the time to show amps from generator(powerinverter charging the house batterty or amps from the solar controller+solar panels.
And vicebversa showing amps being used. The shunt is on the big house battery to measure the amps in and out.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #23
Site Team

Here's a voltmeter I added to the dash last week.

The meter cost $6.68 on ebay. I made the case from some scrap "veneer" metal from a VCR. Added a switch so I could check either starting or house battery. Wanted to mount it flush in the dash but it's hard finding enough free real estate on the back side.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #24

I just bought a Victron BMV-600S. It was ~$150. I've used Links in the past (on boats) and it is great knowing just what is going on with the house bank. I decided to try the Victron because it got good reviews and has a simple, click-in cable connection vs. multiple wires to make connections with.

I haven't used it yet (it just arrived), so I can't really review it -- but so far I haven't seen anything not to like. (The backlight is blue, which may or may not appeal to people.)

Victron makes another, similar monitor that will monitor two banks; the one I got does one bank, which is fine for my use/system.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Nice find BMV-600S

I'd like to have the duel bank meter and install it on both sides of the separator so I can compare the start bank vs the house bank

Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan

The meter cost $6.68 on ebay. I made the case from some scrap "veneer" metal from a VCR. Added a switch so I could check either starting or house battery. Wanted to mount it flush in the dash but it's hard finding enough free real estate on the back side.
I have had one of those on my wish list for over a year, I guess I will get it now, thanks...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan

WVvan, can you post a link to that one? I like it! I want the Tripp-lite one to plug right in to my inverter/charger, but I like $8 more than $159!

thanks
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #28

Thanks for posting the link daveb. I should have done that! One minor cosmetic note is that you can use just the round part of the gauge or add the square bezel (it comes with either way). For just the round gauge you would have to be tidy with the hole as there is a not a huge overhang to the round part of the gauge.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #29
Site Team

Here's a link to the ebay seller who has similar voltmeters on sale:

LCD Digital Volt Voltage Panel Meter Voltmeter 7.5V-20V

One advantage is it's a USA shipper so doesn't take as long as the usual China Post.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
WVvan, can you post a link to that one? I like it! I want the Tripp-lite one to plug right in to my inverter/charger, but I like $8 more than $159!

thanks
True but it depends on whether or not you want extra functions.