Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #1

1/2 rack to fit in front of Westy style pop-top

Hi...First time posting here, and appreciate all of the dialog and support from members. Thx for that.
I'm doing some mods on E250 Traverse that was converted by Agile, and Im looking for a short, gutter mount, basket style rack that would fit in front of the pop top...Basically over the drivers/passenger seats. Id prefer not to have to run bars, just to keep it simpler. Ive not had any luck finding one, and would appreciate any insight. Ive considered finding a longer rack and modifying (shortening) it, but cant seem to find a good gutter mount style. Any thoughts or recommendations?
I found this pic online, but no reference to the rack.
Thx much
MJ
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2018-01-29 19.35.32.jpg  

mfj20th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #2

Garage
^^ That thing is rad! ^^

Hope someone here on the forum knows who fab'd that up (and if they still do 'em).....if not, a shop like WeldTec would probably duplicate that pretty quick for someone.

Very cool.
Love it.
Want one too.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

Yep^^ I agree. I had a Westy for awhile and that little storage area up there is priceless. If only you could have it inset like a Westy!

You could make your own with some Yakima/Thule gutter mounts, crossbars and any rack cut in half. If you do any mild metalwork it should be simple. The racks made by those companies are thin metal and easy to mod.

Try Craigslist!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

Try the 80/20 stuff for a DIY rack, then incorporate some Thule mounts or similar.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #5

Friends...Still looking for a source for a 1/2 rack like this for my westy style pop-top on Karakoram....Any sightings, or thoughts on a source? Many thanks...Peace, MJ
mfj20th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #6
Orv

Garage
I really like the idea. Every time I look at my van I see that space above the cab and think it's kind of going to waste. I used to have a Westy, years ago, and used the rack to hold a jerrycan of fuel.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #7

Garage
Like 86Scotty said, an option is to buy a rack and cut it to fit. I was wondering if one could be mounted sideways if there is room.

I have a small one on my van, there when I bought it. It looks like it could have been cut to fit as it is open in the back. I haven't found one the same size.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #8

The rack in the photo is exactly what I had planned to build to carry fire wood and misc other stuff. My original plan was to weld it up myself, but I've yet to buy a tube bender, and it's getting close to departure time again. So, for now, I'm going to hit a couple local dealers in town specializing in truck accessories. If I can find something close, I still have time to do a little cutting and welding. If I find a solution, I'll let you know.......
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #9

I love the desert racer look of those racks, popular with southern California offroaders. Do a search on Craisgslist for offroad rack, roof rack, offroad fab, pre-runner bumbers. There are several guys up here in northern California that advertise custom work, tube bumpers and racks, that do this type of thing for customers.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

Sooo that rack would be next to impossible on an RB. I honestly never really noticed until this post that the top on an RB(which is what I own) comes farther forward than it does on an EB. My top comes up to about the middle of the front door windows while the top on the EB only comes up to the rear of the front door. Doh!