Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Best setup for driving in snow and ice on pavement (limited slip/ or lockers)

My snow/ice driving experience in my taco trd has always been limited slip in rear, and 4hi. I do have a rear locker but have not used it in snow. Question is
in something like the ford econo van with the SMB 4x4 system/atlas 2 what is the best setup for snow/ice driving on pavement? if off road/sand/gravel/etc I would think locked front and rear is best. but on pavement I am not sure what is best? maybe not having lockers on rear and just have limited slip, with front 4x4 engaged no locker? would you recommend getting arb lockers front and rear? or just lockers in front and leave rear limited slip?

sjappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Wouldn't recommend using lockers on the road in snowy or icy conditions, really crappy road manners. They're great for getting out of (or into) some sticky situations or for rock crawling. I have factory limited slip in the rear and have considered getting lockers in the front for those rare times, but haven't found a real reason to spend the money. My quigley 4X4 with the rear limited slip has been more than adequate. My front mounted winch gives me the peace of mind exploring some more difficult trails.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

Agree on all points with Rick. Keep thinking about a locker up front, but wouldn't want to give up limited slip on rear.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

dont they make a rear diff with lmited slip and locking ability? my 08 taco has that I believe? or maybe its some software based traction control and not limited slip..regardless on ice of snow I hardly ever lose tractoin in taco.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #5

Garage
I also have a Quigley with a ford lsd. we had a record snow year here and I had zero issues getting anywhere. spent a bunch of time pulling folks out of snow with ill prepared vehicles as well. only time ive noticed an issue was in really greasy mud. if there was any incline, the lsd kicks the ass end out when both wheels are providing traction. was fun for the most part. kept me drifting all day, but not ideal in a more serious situation.

I have a spare oem lsd for a dana 60 semi float if you were interested... heavy ass thing though. not sure shipping would be worth it.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #6

I also do a lot of snow and ice driving. Factory LSD has always treated me really well. I did however get the van stuck in mud last week and couldn't get the LS to engage at all. Left me digging out.
Since then I have been thinking about the Detroit truetrac. Seems like it should be great on the slippery stuff and have a little more meat when it comes to off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skyl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

I love offroad campers but you'll be hard pressed to find anything better in ice and snow than an unmolested factory 4x4 Toyota, in my humble opinion. My SMB would go anywhere but my wife's 4Runner will go anywhere without raising my blood pressure or requiring me to get out for anything. I simply can't believe how surefooted and calming that thing is. Unfortunately I never felt this in any SMB, van or equipped work truck.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I love offroad campers but you'll be hard pressed to find anything better in ice and snow than an unmolested factory 4x4 Toyota, in my humble opinion. My SMB would go anywhere but my wife's 4Runner will go anywhere without raising my blood pressure or requiring me to get out for anything. I simply can't believe how surefooted and calming that thing is. Unfortunately I never felt this in any SMB, van or equipped work truck.

^^^^ what he said ^^^^

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

so would there be any problem with having a limited slip rear end no locker, and front locker? so when on road in snow ice I engage front drive but just dont lock it? how would this perform? this means the front tires are only going to have power to one wheel, and if it spins oh well, its gonna keep spinning correct?

then when off road I can lock front end for better traction and smb works fine like this? sorry, it just seems strange to have a locking fornt with lsd backend..
Old 06-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
That's what I'm running. With my front air locker, if it's in 4x4 and engaged (locked), steering is hampered and the vehicle fights to turn. I only use it to get me out of a situation and that might require shutting it on and off as needed to get around a turn. Most in the 4x4 community say to install a locker in the rear. For my heavy van though, I find the locker will help pull me over a hill. My van wants to walk sideways trying to push its way up depending on the terrain. With the front locked I can slowly crawl up more easily than with an open front diff. I would never drive a typical snow covered road with an engaged locker.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote