Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2024, 08:46 PM   #1

Help on how to sell a 2006 EB50 6.0 Sportsmobile 117,000 miles

The problem is that I live in Hawaii and there is zero market here and it is too far from the mainland for people to come looking. I'm thinking I'll have to ship it to the west coast and camp in it until it is sold.

So, my first question is what location might I have the best luck finding a buyer?

Second, if I can't sell it in a reasonable amount of time are there any dealers where I could get a decent price?

Third, I've spent $1,800 replacing the turbo regulator and EGR valve trying to fix Code P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost but the best mechanic here has not been successful. So any shop recommendations near either of the above locations are also welcome.

FYI, full description is at bwsale.yolasite.com.

wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:45 AM   #2

I'm not west coast - but I'm guessing LA or San Fran area ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:16 AM   #3

I know it won't help but a P0299 is USUALLY a stuck unison ring in the variable vane turbo. Of course there a dozen other things it could be also.

It seems like the most SMB for sale are around SoCal or Portland/Seattle. Probably because thats where the most people are.

You might pick one of those areas then check on one of the powerstroke forums for a reputable mechanic.

Personally, If I had to 'hang out' for it to sell I'd head to Oregon. I think the major shipper from HI go to LA and SEA, but I could be wrong. Either way, theres a road from there to Oregon. My rule of thumb is to stay at least 50 miles out of Portland (really 50 miles from the entire I-5 is a good rule of thumb).

Oregon is very friendly towards dispersed camping. They have the dunes and the coast (you probably have plenty of beach time around Kona, but OR coast is... Different). The Cascade mountains are awesome, especially in the summer. Central Oregon and the High desert is awesome, Forest roads everywhere! Plus, you can drive to Idaho, Washington, NoCal, Nevada....

I lived there 6 years after leaving Hawaii and likely still would if it wasn't for the politics.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:30 AM   #4

Garage
I sold mine quickly on: https://www.rvtrader.com/
I had my van listed on a lot of free sites with nothing but BS replies.
RV Trader was worth the fee.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:25 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackerb View Post
The problem is that I live in Hawaii and there is zero market here and it is too far from the mainland for people to come looking. I'm thinking I'll have to ship it to the west coast and camp in it until it is sold.

So, my first question is what location might I have the best luck finding a buyer?

Second, if I can't sell it in a reasonable amount of time are there any dealers where I could get a decent price?
Mainland would definitely open the market up to you. Have you considered just delivering it to one of the three SMB sites and let them list it and hold it until it sells? I know their commission would cut into the sale's price, but you wouldn't have to take a lowball offer in order to get back to Hawaii either.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:06 PM   #6

Thanks! I didn't know that was an option.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 03:41 PM   #7

SMB West is now called Field Van, here is they're URL. The have lots of SMB's for sale. I'd talk to them about your unique problem.

https://fieldvan.com/used-camper-van-for-sale/
Old 03-01-2024, 04:00 PM   #8

I’ve shipped multiple vehicles going the other direction, San Diego to Hawaii using https://www.pashahawaii.com/quote-car
Shipping and staying in Long Beach or San Diego area until sold would probably be more ideal then other mainland ports
Sporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:08 PM   #9

Also know a cpl people that have done a few “cargo cruises” back and forth��
Sporkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:07 AM   #10

I live in San Diego. I restore/repair/sell VW Vanagon's mostly but I have a 2006 E350 SMB. If you would like help selling, feel free to hit me up. I'd be happy to help. You never know how long these will be on the market. Could be a few days, could be a few months. I lived in Hawaii from 2007-2011and helped/had help buying selling vehicles back then too. There aren't a lot of non-sprinter SMB's in SoCal so I feel like yours would do pretty well depending on condition and price. I had to fly to Bend, OR to get mine.

Anyway, offer stands if you need it.
Bosco53 is offline   Reply With Quote