Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2023, 06:30 PM   #11

That sounds like a trick setup... a pic of the rigging would be super useful.

2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:06 PM   #12

Hope this help. You can see that the one yellow handled lever valve allows me to close off the flow of water from the freshwater tank to the water pump. Then I can open up the second yellow handled lever valve to pump water through the flexible clear poly siphon hose tubing that I just stick inside my portable water jug. When I am done I just tuck the poly tubing along the side of my tank. It is slick because my Shurflo water pump does all the work to quickly pump water from the portable jug into my freshwater tank (with no mess).

With a $15 PEX crimping tool, and about $10 in PEX supplies (a few clamps, T piece, etc.), it works perfect. I did use a couple 90 degree angle fittings to extend it out a little to give me a little more room for the connections but they are otherwise unnecesary. I have used this system for at least 5 years now to replenish my freshwater tank when I don't have a regular city water supply. I used it today to top off my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5147.jpg  
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Definitely recommend the threaded lid ports. The ones that snap in are not advised.
We have 3" ports on our (non SMB) tanks that work well. 4" would be good, too. Main issue may be the amount of accessible surface area atop the tank, especially in the 50 layouts. We do not even have an external water fill point.

Personally I have never understood the decision to not incorporate a rapid interior fill via bottles vs the pressurized hose connected to the city water port on side of the rig for a Sportsmobile that is primarily used dispersed.

I would guess it’s a RVIA rule that there is a water hookup outside?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:25 PM   #14

Garage
Jrobe that's just a slick way to accomplish both refilling and winterizing! My 2001 RB50 doesn't have nearly the amount of space as your setup, but it's certainly worth seeing if I could somehow fit it in...

Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-31-2023, 10:04 AM   #15

I had space in our rb50 to install one of these: https://www.campingworld.com/pump-co...-kit-6279.html

Works like a charm for winterizing. As I recall, I had to remove the couch seat and the small vertical wall to get space to work, but both tasks are simple.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
I had space in our rb50 to install one of these: https://www.campingworld.com/pump-co...-kit-6279.html

Works like a charm for winterizing. As I recall, I had to remove the couch seat and the small vertical wall to get space to work, but both tasks are simple.

That should also work to refill the freshwater tank from a portable jug. If it will siphon antifreeze, it will also siphon fresh water. My PEX fittings and the bigger ball valves that I used are probably just a little more leak proof.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Hope this help. You can see that the one yellow handled lever valve allows me to close off the flow of water from the freshwater tank to the water pump. Then I can open up the second yellow handled lever valve to pump water through the flexible clear poly siphon hose tubing that I just stick inside my portable water jug. When I am done I just tuck the poly tubing along the side of my tank. It is slick because my Shurflo water pump does all the work to quickly pump water from the portable jug into my freshwater tank (with no mess).
Man I think I'm usually smarter than this but... I'm not understanding how the siphoned water from the jug gets into the tank to fill it if the lower outlet of the tank is shut off.
2003 EB30 - Sold
Old 08-31-2023, 12:32 PM   #18

bigriver, at least on my van, and I am assuming on jrobe's van, the outlet of the water pump goes to both the inlet valve on the water tank and to the faucet. So when I open my water tank inlet valve(the grey valve that most SMB's have), and turn on my water pump you can hear the pump basically cycling the water from the water pump inlet back into the tank inlet. When I close the grey inlet valve, the water pump pressurizes and stops pumping, because my faucet is closed. So this is how jrobe is pumping water from his external container into his water tank.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:36 PM   #19

Ahh... right... mine does as well. Much appreciated Ben.
2003 EB30 - Sold
Old 08-31-2023, 12:39 PM   #20

you're welcome, I love this idea and now I have a new SMB project to make happen!! LOL