Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2023, 10:37 AM   #1

Large awning options?

So I am not having any luck finding this so I thought I would ask. I am looking to see if there are any awning options that would give me a 10x10 awning? I kind of got used to having this kind of covered space tent camping with an EZ up... I like the room, and already have side walls that would work for that size...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:21 PM   #2

Fiama makes a F45s that's about 14.5ftx8ft. They make a "Privacy Room" that can be added to provide walls.

https://www.fiammausa.com/en/f45s-en.html

Or you can go with a batwing awning like the OVS Nomadic 270. That gives a crazy amount of coverage, but not in a rectangular manner. You can also add walls to that, they come in 3 sections. Personally I like my Nomadic 270 because it covers the whole passenger side and the rear doors.

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/o...ver-universal/
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20230419_153325778.jpg  
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vermonster View Post
Fiama makes a F45s that's about 14.5ftx8ft. They make a "Privacy Room" that can be added to provide walls.

https://www.fiammausa.com/en/f45s-en.html

Or you can go with a batwing awning like the OVS Nomadic 270. That gives a crazy amount of coverage, but not in a rectangular manner. You can also add walls to that, they come in 3 sections. Personally I like my Nomadic 270 because it covers the whole passenger side and the rear doors.

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/o...ver-universal/
Yeah, I didn't know if those 270 awnings had available sidewalls. I doubt I would use them often, but under constant beach breeze conditions, having a space protected from blowing sand that isn't inside the van would be nice...
Old 09-10-2023, 08:30 PM   #4

They do make sidewalls but they are very expensive typically. I had a Rhino Rack Batwing 270 that was about $6-700 a few years ago and EACH sidewall section was like $200 more dollars. Total rip off.

I recently went with an OVS 180 awning but don't have it mounted yet. It's a weird shape, center square section with a forward and back triangle, not quite a 270. I figured it might work well on a van. We'll see.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 11:44 PM   #5

dbhosttexas -
1. What type of roof do you have? Stock, Fixed , or PopTop?
2. What size rig do you have?
3. What is your location? (You can add location to your profile. if you like)

The pictured awning Vermonster posted will work if you have stock roof with a roof rack. No way a legless awning works with a pop top w/o very serious reinforcement where the mounting brackets are located.

I believe the max projection for Fiamma and most any other awning is 8 ft. Many are only 6 ft.

The Fiamma F-45S 300 (10 ft wide x 8 ft max projection) works well on both EB and RB vans.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:41 AM   #6

Does it actually cover the side entrance / barn doors? This was my concern that the mounting position has to be far back to swing around the rear so much that you only get the tip of the front triangle covering the front barn door...

I love the idea of sheltering the back door in addition to the side since we use both entrances and we haven't pulled the trigger on any awning because we don't really know / havnt decided how to do cover both. Our assumption was we'd need two separate awnings...but a 270 obviously would be preferred!
Ace944gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
dbhosttexas -
1. What type of roof do you have? Stock, Fixed , or PopTop?
2. What size rig do you have?
3. What is your location? (You can add location to your profile. if you like)

The pictured awning Vermonster posted will work if you have stock roof with a roof rack. No way a legless awning works with a pop top w/o very serious reinforcement where the mounting brackets are located.

I believe the max projection for Fiamma and most any other awning is 8 ft. Many are only 6 ft.

The Fiamma F-45S 300 (10 ft wide x 8 ft max projection) works well on both EB and RB vans.
Good questions.
1. Pop Top / Penthouse roof. Sorry I sort of assumed ALL Sportsmobiles are Penthouse tops, I know they aren't but it is kind of like Kleenex and facial tissues...
2. Regular length Econoline van.
3. Coastal Texas / Houston Metro. So it is freaking hot and I need shade when camping at the beach!

I would like something that at the least covers the passenger side of the van. I have a Joolca Double Ensuite with Awning kit, and that can slide in the corner behind the van easily.

I know awnings need to come down in high winds, but blowing rain events like a typical Texas spring rain and a sidewall should keep the rain, or blowing sand out of the van, or outdoor cooking space...

I CAN solve my issue with an EZ Up. I don't want too. They are too big, bulky, and flimsy construction wise to want to bother with.

For now I am using an Ozark Trail 12x12 Tarp Shelter with suction Cups to attach to the roof, and can shade wall, sort of the rig. It is definately a jerry rig but it works... Was just hoping for an easier to set up, more elegant solution.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:37 AM   #8

Garage
We have a Fiamma 45S on our Transit, but I’ve seen these awnings used for side awnings on vans. You don’t need a roof rack (you can also use suction cups or other hardware).
MoonShade Portable Vehicle Awning, Large 9' x 7' Shade Coverage, Lightweight Durable Car Canopy Suitable for Trucks SUVs Vans Campers and More.
https://moonfab.com/
Attached Thumbnails
1dceff824d451edda487ab5156fa6fdc.w5964.h3978._SL5000_CR454,532,4060,2395_SX1920_.jpg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmom View Post
We have a Fiamma 45S on our Transit, but I’ve seen these awnings used for side awnings on vans. You don’t need a roof rack (you can also use suction cups or other hardware).
MoonShade Portable Vehicle Awning, Large 9' x 7' Shade Coverage, Lightweight Durable Car Canopy Suitable for Trucks SUVs Vans Campers and More.
https://moonfab.com/
So, not sure if I mentioned it above, but I already have a 12x12 tarp shelter that I can pitch, one edge suction cupped to the van roof, far side poles and guylines. I can rig one of my EZ Up sidewalls to provide wind shelter and my Joolca Ensuite Double has its awning setup to finish it up... I was fishing for ideas for something more permanently mounted to the van and faster / easier setup.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:43 PM   #10

I will say that while the 270 awnings are advertised as free standing, the instructions say that you need to use a minimum number of poles. Mine, being a 270, has 3 poles attached to the awning arms that you need to use. It includes another 3 to use if possible. I've had mine open in 5mph winds and it moved a lot more than I'm comfortable with. And I have a very, very stout rack. But the leverage and area of the awning is unmatched.

Full disclosure. I removed my rack and sold it and the awning is being moved to an enclosed trailer for MTBs. I liked the sized of the awning for camp, but never opened it while out and about. So IMHO it works best on a trailer that might be staying stationary for a while. I find most awnings are a balance of annoying and useful. I certainly like the way a Fiama mounts to the van sans rack and that will probably be in our future, after a long list of other things.
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote