Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

No start 7.3l e350... urgent

Hello didn't eat any responses on power stroke.org
Thought to try here. It all started when I got back to Texas from California with a serious diesel leak . Fixed all the orings for the fuel bowl and passenger side fuel line. Seamed to fix it... also had to replace fuel bowl regulator since I broke the oem.
Everything worked for about 20 miles.
Noticed a heavy fuel leak again. Looks like I overtigntend duralast fuel filter. Returned it for a new one and just hand tightened ..
seemed to fix all of that.
About 20 miles later everything's fine.
Trucks warming up in drive way . Go to reverse and loose power.
Put in drive move about 5 feet and engines boggles down . Now I have a no start. Just cranks... I did notice a little smoke from driver side up pipe. Thought it could be residual fuel and oil burning / dripping on hot pipe.
Ran codes and all were and are related to ebpv ebpa aih
Pulled the sensor . Still won't start.
Trying to get back to California in 3 weeks.
Still need to weld and fix passenger side tower assembly / mount . There's a crack yo there in the wheel well.
And make a foldable bed setup in the back of the van.
Changed and flushed coolant to red cat elc.
Van has 490,000
A rebuilt transmission probalay a rebuilt engine ... maybe. Drove like a boss on i10 all the way back. I have confidence this can be a good van and reliable for about her 100,000 miles ... how can I trouble shoot this. Any help is greatly appreciated

AmboRambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

AIH is usually fuse 21 or 22 can't remember which but it also controls the pcm
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
brp

You might have air in the lines after all that work on the fuel system. My VW diesels would run well, die, run well....a few cycles of that to get air out of the system.

On a 7.3 Powerstroke ( don’t know which 7.3 we’re talking about) the fuel pump primes when you turn the key. Turn the key 1/2 way, you should hear the fuel pump prime for about 10 seconds. I suggest doing this a few times to prime the system and then try starting it.

Good luck
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
brp

I saw in your other thread a shop recommended a cam position sensor. On my buddies 7.3 PS it is semi-routine maintenance to replace and a faulty one can cause a no-start.

If it is not the cause of your current problem it is still something 7.3 owners should know about and perhaps keep a spare.

7.3L Power Stroke Cam Position Sensor (CPS) Replacement Guide
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I saw in your other thread a shop recommended a cam position sensor. On my buddies 7.3 PS it is semi-routine maintenance to replace and a faulty one can cause a no-start.

If it is not the cause of your current problem it is still something 7.3 owners should know about and perhaps keep a spare.

7.3L Power Stroke Cam Position Sensor (CPS) Replacement Guide
Thinking of replacing cps. Could return some stuff to autozone and get one but know I'd be better off with oem. Either way maybe try to get one plug it in see if anything changes and know I have a spare.
Also it ran 20 miles or so after all that fuel line work . I would think whatever air is in there or was is already purged out. It was running good after the line work. Then I changed coolant and thermostat. Then had a diesel leak again from fuel filter. Guess I had overtigthend the duralast filter. Replaced it. No leaks . Another 20 miles or so driving with dog house off to make sure . Then went into reverse lost power. Went into drive noticeable Power missing. Died . Cranks but won't start.
I did notice some sensor behind fuel bowl connected to wiring harness showing some bare metal? All codes are ebp related though and don't see why it wouldn't show that particular sensor.
Also thinking would ebp tune be clogged and showing these codes result in no start?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
AIH is usually fuse 21 or 22 can't remember which but it also controls the pcm
Under hood? Or fuse box by pedal?
Appreciate your input and help don't know if you've responded to this yet either
Old 02-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
You might have air in the lines after all that work on the fuel system. My VW diesels would run well, die, run well....a few cycles of that to get air out of the system.

On a 7.3 Powerstroke ( don’t know which 7.3 we’re talking about) the fuel pump primes when you turn the key. Turn the key 1/2 way, you should hear the fuel pump prime for about 10 seconds. I suggest doing this a few times to prime the system and then try starting it.

Good luck
Would all 7.3 be power stroke ? Or is superduty a different ? Also is there 7.3 without turbo ? Or without idi
Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
Site Team

My experience with a 7.3L CPS is that it can fail without warning, and then suddenly, after some random amount of time, it will start just like it should. It can be a very intermittent problem, the worst kind or problem.

Herb
Old 02-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #9

How did you know? Got a no start? Didn't change the sensor then it started randomly?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #10

Change CPS just because it’s cheap and easy.

Crack fuel filter cap and turn key, it should pump diesel out.

Check HPOP, make sure you have pressure.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7.3, e350, ebp, no start