Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #1

Penthouse in the wind

Has anyone actually had their PH ruined do to wind damage. I was boondocking in the desert last night and it was windy but I was sheltered a little. At abou 4 am it got a little heavy. I got down and contemplated putting it down but realized it it wasn't as bad as originally thought. I have no idea how fast the gusts were but got high at times. I went back to sleep with no trouble. I read here that the tops are rated to 50 mph and some people have reported their p PH coming down so they've rigged posts to keep them up. I had my windows all shut so I figured the pressure would keep it up. No problems but it did make me wonder.

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Re: Penthouse in the wind

I usually pull my down in desert winds (we sleep in the bottom). More because of potential sand damage to the plastic windows than the wind itself.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Penthouse in the wind

Mine has been up in 20 to 30 mph winds with no issues.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

As long as the wind is from the front or back, I have no problem with 50 mph winds. Even if I have to move the van to orient it to the wind.

20+ wind from the side rocks the van too much for me to sleep comfortably.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I worry more about trees and flying debris. I try to put the van into the wind as mentioned if the wind is in the 50 mph range.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Ok. Has anyone heard of one being destroyed by the wind?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Penthouse in the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I worry more about trees and flying debris. I try to put the van into the wind as mentioned if the wind is in the 50 mph range.
Never thought of that. We usually setup broadside or at an angle so that the side doors are on the lea side. Makes being outside more comfortable.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

We have had ours up in at least 50 mph gusts. It does help to have the van pointed into the wind but no ill effects so far. The awning, that's a different story.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #9

You will max out your wind tolerance - and lack of sleep - before you can damage the top. The noise and van sway in heavy winds will make you move down and drop the top. At that wind level the van still rocks sleep is limited.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #10

I damaged my van due to wind.

But it wasn't the penthouse per se, it was the crossbar spanning the top of the van just behind the driver's seat, where the top latches down. The thing is part wood, and the upthrust of the top in the wind gust pulled it up and broke it.

It occurred as I was driving US 50 in about 50 MPH gusts at about 65 MPH; wind apparently got under the front of the penthouse via those runnels in the Ford cab roof. It pumped up the canvas like an airbag, which jacked the whole penthouse up several inches (the back latch held). I used tie down ratchets to hold it to the floor, and got it repaired at SMB West (FREE, thank you thank you).

Important to note it did NO damage whatsoever to the penthouse or the canvas.

Another time I popped the penthouse in 75 MPH winds (self generated as I bombe down the Coquihalla Hwy). Turns out if you don't latch it, it will open on its own at that speed. Pulled over, latched it. No damage whatsoever.

So don't even post about your piddly little desert zephyr...nothing to see there, and no worries

And you can all thank me for my rigorous product testing (and I'm sure I won't get many carpoolers...).

Seriously, though, I also put it down in 35+ winds due to the motion; keeps me awake.

Rob