Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #41
Site Team

Garage
Re: Preventive measures on the 6.0 PSD before a long trip

11x17. I thought about the larger versions but didn't want to be the beta tester

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #42

How Hot Should My 6.0 run?

I took over ownership of a used 2004 E350 PSD. I flushed and cleaned the cooling system multiple times and installed CAT ELC.

ECT & EOT run around 205 & 210 after extended driving. I installed a new 192 degree Ford OEM thermostat. I drove the van up to 4500 feet and the temperatures held steady around 210 & 215 driving up the steep grade. The temps have gone as high as 225 & 230.

I posted on the Ford Truck Forum and normal operating temperatures are anything but normal because the guys run so many mods.

Should I be concerned?

If you are driving a 6.0 PSD without any tunes and track your temps with a scan gauge or similar, could you post your temperatures.
coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #43
Site Team

Garage

That was right on par with my engine before I added the louvers. These were temps off the scan gauge. I don't know why but the scan gauge seems to hold the temp longer and not react to quicker changes. For instance when my fan kicks on, the temps on my autometer gauge will drop quickly to about 190 and start to rise. The scangauge is always off never showing the extreme lows or highs but is close enough IMO to be worth having. On a day when it was 118* outside, I was climbing a grade and it reached just over 240* on the scan gauge. It's hard to say what mine would say now as I'm running a tune. Although I see a variety of temp ranges, I've been watching the spread over the summer. A lot depends on the outside temps. The alarm is set to 230 and usually on a hard climb the fan seems to kick on between 225-230 and the temps will drop to about 190-195 and start to rise. Not really sure how that fan is programmed because with the A/C on it seems to stay on most of the time. The temps then seem to stay more constant around 195-200* on flat ground at 55mph.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #44

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
That was right on par with my engine before I added the louvers. These were temps off the scan gauge. I don't know why but the scan gauge seems to hold the temp longer and not react to quicker changes. For instance when my fan kicks on, the temps on my autometer gauge will drop quickly to about 190 and start to rise. The scangauge is always off never showing the extreme lows or highs but is close enough IMO to be worth having. On a day when it was 118* outside, I was climbing a grade and it reached just over 240* on the scan gauge. It's hard to say what mine would say now as I'm running a tune. The alarm is set to 230 and usually on a hard climb the fan seems to kick on between 225-230 and the temps will drop to about 190-195 and start to rise. Not really sure how that fan is programmed because with the A/C on it seems to stay on most of the time. The temps then seem to stay more constant around 195-200* on flat ground at 55mph.

Daveb.

Have you herd of Waterless Coolant for radiators? Has there been a theead? Whats your thought?

Cheers Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #45
Site Team

Garage

Well I discussed with going to a different coolant with both shops who do work on my engine and both suggest sticking with the Ford coolant mix. I know a lot go to cat stuff and what not but to tell the truth I haven't had any issues with the Ford stuff and until just this year didn't even have a coolant filter. When Zylstra's pulled the engine apart everything looked good. Mind you in 92,000 miles I've replaced the coolant on average every couple of years.
I really don't want to be a bets tester on a new type coolant even if it aids in the engine running cooler. I did add an additive to knock down electrolysis. Interesting concept though.

Next on the list is a new radiator (even though the shop said mine is fine) water pump, a fuel pressure monitor and a new programmer.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #46

Re: How Hot Should My 6.0 run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfeet
ECT & EOT run around 205 & 210 after extended driving. I installed a new 192 degree Ford OEM thermostat. I drove the van up to 4500 feet and the temperatures held steady around 210 & 215 driving up the steep grade. The temps have gone as high as 225 & 230.

I posted on the Ford Truck Forum and normal operating temperatures are anything but normal because the guys run so many mods.

Should I be concerned?

If you are driving a 6.0 PSD without any tunes and track your temps with a scan gauge or similar, could you post your temperatures.
My temps peak at 224 ECT and 232 EOT on a hot day and long grade. But I'm also running a tune. Anyhow, I don't think you should be concerned except that is a lot of head under the hood. That's baking your wiring harness and other connections. The hood louvers is on my list as my next mod.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #47

Garage
Re: How Hot Should My 6.0 run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfeet

Should I be concerned?

My temps peak at 224 ECT and 232 EOT on a hot day and long grade. But I'm also running a tune. Anyhow, I don't think you should be concerned except that is a lot of head under the hood. That's baking your wiring harness and other connections. The hood louvers is on my list as my next mod.

Totally normal, mine acts exactly the same. I have 136k miles with no major issues.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #48

What sometimes get's lost in these discussions is that, to a certain extent, heat is a good thing. For one, efficient combustion doesn't happen until ECT reaches 190F. And running it hard at WOT helps sweep the vanes on the turbo as well as getting the EGTs up there and burning off the carbon inside.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #49
Site Team

Garage

As well as watching not to run the turbo too hot, letting it cool down before shutdown, limit short runs and long idle time just after startup, using fuel additives, keeping the oil as clean as possible, running the vehicle often and letting the ECT reach norm operating temps. Probably more I'm missing.

I've never had a turbo problem and the shop said it looked good at the 92K mileage point. Most of my 6.0 based failures have been sensors that failed. Nothing wrong with the engine just the sensor thinking something was wrong when everything was actually fine. Did loose an idler pulley once. I also had an issue with the engine shutting down and found the wire harness was shot. This was due to heat and why the louvers. The shop in Fresno is heat wrapping them these days, something I want done.
Complicated motor.